Some pictures of the Academy Primary building

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Some pictures of the Academy Primary building

Post by down south »

Here's some nostalgic views for all former pupils of the old Ardrossan Academy primary ( and those who had secondary classes there in its latter days ). I took these photos in February 1970, shortly before it was pulled down to make way for the multi-storey blocks that now stand on the site. The first one shows the view from Sorbie Road, the second is from the Parkhouse Road side.

[attachment=1]Academy 009.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Academy 006.jpg[/attachment]

Susan
Attachments
Academy 006.jpg
Academy 009.jpg
Last edited by down south on Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Some pictures of the Academy Primary building

Post by Penny Tray »

Well down "down south". I love looking at these old photographs and wish more people would dig into their collections and post. And! They're not only nostalgic for those who attended the Academy. There are those amongst us who remember fondly throwing stanes at them! Or shortcutting through from Sorbie Road to Parkhouse Road or vice versa. Or attending night school to catch up on misspent schooling.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Thanks Susan,many a time I went in through those doors or played on the grass at playtime.I hated the sight of the buildings that went up in its place. Susan do you have a relation called Anne,I remember an Anne Knock at school.Regards MIlda
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Charlie Blakely (Latin) and Pussie Houston (French) both had classes in the primary building when I went to the Academy.

Meg
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Hello Milda. Yes, Anne was my sister; sadly "was" because she died quite a few years ago now at only 44. She worked in computers and she would have loved the internet, but it came just a little bit too late for her. I did work out that you must be around her age and wondered if you might have known her.She was the best big sister I could have wished for when I was little, and still much missed.
Susan
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

I am sorry Susan,I am sure you miss her very much.Yes I remember her at school. Milda
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Thanks Milda. When Hughie is a little less busy ( I gather he has more important things to do this weekend ! ) I'll send in a photo of Anne's class and you can see who else you remember.

Meanwhile to respond to Meg's post: I didn't know Miss Houston but I certainly well remember Mr.Blakely. Another Latin teacher by the way,PT - but with a much more irreverent attitude to life in general and the Romans in particular! I'm surprised he was over in the Primary; I thought only the younger and newer teachers ended up with rooms there. By the time I was taught by him he was in a much more suitable home next door to Dr.Nisbet's room.
Did you ever have classes in the old blue wooden hut next door to the Primary ? It also disappeared in the demolition, but I don't think anyone was sorry to see that go. Conditions were a little primitive in there;one room had heaters hanging precariously from the ceiling, in another there was some sort of stove,and after a visit there you suspiciously often found you'd acquired some itchy bites from some nasty little critter....

Susan
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Hi Susan,was that wooden hut to the right of the primary and down a bit from the toilets and bike sheds? If so ,then I was in it . What age would Anne have been now? I think maybe she was in Janice Mclelland and Doreen Wilder's class ,which was just one below me in the primary. MIlda
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

down south wrote: I certainly well remember Mr.Blakely. Another Latin teacher by the way,PT - but with a much more irreverent attitude to life in general. By the time I was taught by him he was in a much more suitable home next door to Dr.Nisbet's room. Did you ever have classes in the old blue wooden hut next door to the Primary ? It also disappeared in the demolition. Susan
Susan, you are probably younger than me - Charlie still had black hair, a great sense of humour and a dapper appearance when he encountered my class. He was one of the best teachers I had, pity his subject was so dry! Next door to Dr Nisbet when I was there was Fuzz - Mr Renwick I think - fuzzy hair (hence the nickname), bottle glasses and a constant nasal whine to his voice. The wooden hut was there and being used when I was there (as were the white prefab buildings further over towards the burn) - Mr Whittaker (mad as a March hare) taught in there.

All of the teachers wore their gowns every day when I was there and there was an assembly each morning - I am sure Canfactory will remember showing dictionaries to look like hymnbooks so we didn't get lines to write from the prefects on the way into the assembly hall.

Meg
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Hi Meg I remember being in the white prefab buildings.Mr.Parker taught us geography in there .I also went there for shorthand,typing and bookkeeping. Milda
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

I also remember being in those buildings in the primary too ,a Mrs.Blythe taught us there,she was very old then and had grey hair up in a bun.I can't remember what she taught us.I honestly can't remember much unless someone stirs a memory somewhere. Milda
canfactory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by canfactory »

>I am sure Canfactory will remember showing dictionaries to look like hymnbooks so we didn't get lines to write from the prefects on the way into the assembly hall.<

LOL I well remember us using the collins gem dictionaries, Meg. Also, didn't we once get clyped on by someone who saw us having a wee fly smoke walking down to school past Parkhouse reservoir? Tommy C was with us. I am sure it was Mr McFarlane that called our names out and we had to go and see him after assembly.

Another teacher I remember was Joe Wight. I think he taught Modern Studies or something similar. I've often wondered what happened to him. His trademark was navy blue ties with pink elephants on them. Pete Short comes to mind to as does Mr Tait the music teacher. I remember us all being in the hut you mentioned and Mr Whittaker trying to control us. God love him. After him it was a Mr McCallum, I think.

C.