Sunday School

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
scottyd
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Sunday School

Post by scottyd »

Do they still have Sunday School ??? When I was wee (up until I was about 12 I think) I had to go to Sunday School.
Went to a few but last one I remember was in Saltcoats (can't remember the Church !) but our teacher was Mr McAllister who had a sweetie shop in Dockhead Street / Hamilton Street (???).
He was a really nice man - I remember going on a Sunday School trip to the David Livingstone Museum in Blantyre and losing the half-crown my mum gave me. As soon as Mr McAllister found out he gave me a replacement from his own money. I will never forget his kindness.
I'm not a Christian but I am sure that a lot of the values I learned at Sunday School (and the Lifeboys and Boys Brigade) have stuck with me all these years.
Anyone else remember Mr McAllister ???
What was the Church ? (it was the 3rd Saltcoats BBs as well !)
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Sunday School

Post by Milda »

David,was that Mr. McAllister from the Candy Bar in Hamiton St.I don't know him from church,I went to Erskine church and when I was dragged out ,to Sunday school
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

My first taste of Sunday school from what I remember was at around the age of 6 or 7 when my mothering big sister spruced brother Bobby and me up to attend the Sunday School at the Barony Church at South Beach Ardrossan. Can't recall how we got there though. Later that same day she'd dragged us across to the McKellar Avenue side of Whitlees Crescent where there was a regular Salvation Army meeting for us kids in the living room of the Clark(e) residence.

When I was older and lacking direction it was the Seamans Mission in Seaton Street with my pals and also at Jock Trodden's Gospel Hall in Glasgow Street. There we would sing with gusto "My cups full and running over" with all the hand actions competing against each other and getting the occasional clout round the ear.

Remember also the Sunday school trips too with the tin mug tied around the neck.
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

I remember going to Sunday school at the Park Church in Glasgow street. My three brothers and I walking down from Rowanside Terrace thinking we looked great in our kilts only to have cheeky weans calling us Kilty,Kilty cauld bums. I also went to the gospel mission in Glasgow St. and watched the lantern slides. I understand the park church is now the church of the nazarine.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Robert Cook wrote:I remember going to Sunday school at the Park Church in Glasgow street. My three brothers and I walking down from Rowanside Terrace thinking we looked great in our kilts only to have cheeky weans calling us Kilty,Kilty cauld bums. I
:lol: :lol: So typical of Ayrshire weans!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
scottyd
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scottyd »

I remember that you had to get dressed up in your Sunday best to go to Sunday School.
I also remember my Mum giving me a shilling for the collection.
I would spend sixpence on sweeties and put sixpence in the colection - she never knew !
(For those brought up post-decimalisation there were 12 pennies to the shilling and a shilling is worth 5p in todays money !)
danmdan
Settling In
Settling In

Post by danmdan »

I went to the "Star Inn" - round the corner from the end of Kyleshill, up near the School.
Star Inn
Star Inn
sheenaj
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sheenaj »

A number of us from South Beach Baptist Youth went next door to Free kirk Manse.The son Allister used to have a Monday night meeting .We'd have games and bible study.Our own Minister, Mr Hepburn, was far from happy that we went there -didn't stop us though.We had a great time :)