COOKBOOKS

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
mckay47
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: COOKBOOKS

Post by mckay47 »

morag wrote:Hope they work out Betty!
Thanks Morag,
My mother, who is a wonderful baker, also had this problem with baking when she would visit, so I know it's not just me. Pastry did okay though.
I also googled Sultana scones like Myra suggested, so between to two of you, surely I will have some success! I have a busy weekend, so I will wait till next week before trying, and I will let you know what happens.
Thanks again to the both of you for all your help.
Betty
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Myra
I see you like soups, the same as myself, have you ever tried the traditional fish soup called " Cullin skink " (sp) it is superb. It originates from the fishing village on the east coast called Cullin (sp).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Myra Clugston
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Myra Clugston »

Hi there Little Plum;

Stevenston I see, my father was born on Boglemart Street - when it still had the thatched cottages where my grandparents lived. It was still like that when I left for Canada. Not the same anymore but very nice though.

Yes, I have had Cullen Skink, and yes, I like it. Where I live it's not unlike Clam Chowder (clams instead of haddock).

Must say that when it comes to Bouillabaisse then I usually have it in a fine restaurant and perhaps enjoy saving all the shells to bring home best and add to what I call a big glass bowl "my bouillabaisse bowl". I just love seashells............
But today I made beef stock with really great beef bones with lots of meat on them. I will have the beef tomorrow for dinner and will make beef barley soup with the stock.

I must say that when I was back there 2 years ago visiting one of my cousins in Kippen (just west of Stirling) she made (and gave me the recipe actually I simply wrote down everything she was doing) a really great carrot soup with well ground parsley & coriander (which I previously did not like) and the base was made from butter. Now when the carrots are going for $3.00 for 10 lbs in the fall, I do the first prep part and freeze it so that when I'm having company for dinner I just take it out of the freezer and defrost and finish it off. You see, my cousin Jane, knowing what an afficiando of soup I was didn't for a minute try to impress me.....threw the very few ingredients into the pot which believe it or not included a vegetable boullion cup....put the immersion blender in and I really thoroughly enjoyed it all. Actually, I do believe she did the whole thing in about 20 minutes. Well now, I did help a little, I scraped the carrots and helped cut the parsley & coriander from the pots she kept in the porch. You see................I love soup! If you think you might like this then let me know and I will give you the recipe......inexpensive, fast, extremely tasty.

Since you are in Stevenston you may know some of my cousins, the Kilpatricks, Bill, Sandy, Mary (married to Brian Kennedy). I've been here 57 years now but I go back when I can.

Best regards, Myra
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Hi Myra
I have also made carrot and coriander soup mmmm, used a vegetable stock cube :oops: :oops: have,nt tried it with parsley though. I add a small pot of single cream to the soup. It,s a quick and simple soup with a great delicate taste.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Myra Clugston
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Myra Clugston »

Actually, Jane uses a handful of both parsley and coriander. I haven't added cream but I have put a dollop of sour cream on top...........it really is yummy.

I recall ordering this type of soup on a visit to Banff, Alberta and they had added a little ginger and that too was great and I sometimes add it as well but not if I'm putting the cream on top.

Tonight I am having a simple dinner as I have been shopping today (sometimes I feel a bit like Shirley Valentine, you know "chips & eggs"). I got a lovely fresh bread (love bread) and I will slice it to a good thickness and toast it (freeze the rest for another time) and add tomato & lettuce. Made cole slaw this morning so I will have that too. Probably have an orange for dessert...have to watch because I am diabetic. Still enjoy great food but I plan my meals about 10 days in advance so that I am not wasting either...it's simply that I don't care to have the same meal two days in a row.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Hi Myra
I had new found relatives over from Victoria B.C. from the 30th to the 2nd of June My sisters son who,s a chef made a Scottish meal for them consisting of Cullen skink. Highland Chichen and Cranachin (sp) it was delicious mmmmmmm :D :D :D