Saltcoats on the 50s

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
scottyd
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Saltcoats on the 50s

Post by scottyd »

Just some random things I remember !

Fearless - what happened to him ?
And the Dummy - what happened to him ?
What was the name of the cafe across from the Countess Cinema ?
It was just up from Howie the Bakers - what happened to them ?
The toy shop down from the Countess - what was its name ?
Liptons the grocers - what is there now?
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Saltcoats on the 50s

Post by Hughie »

scottyd wrote:Fearless - what happened to him ?
"Fearless " John Crawford died in May 1983 at the age of 78. His wife Kate died five months later at the same age.
maggie T
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by maggie T »

hI, THE TOY SHOP YOU ASKED ABOUT WAS CALLED PATRICKS.I THINK WHERE LIPTONS WAS ITS GREGS BAKERS?NOW,THERE WAS ALSO MAYPOLE, IN THE SAME STREET.COUD BE WRONG? BUT I KNOW SOMEONE WHO WILL
KNOW FOR SURE.MAGGIE T.
maggie
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by maggie »

The MAYPOLE was in dockhead street I used
to drive the van with the grocery deliveries
after comming out of ICI before comming to
Australia it was a little green van not sure of the make
Maggie
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi, Maggie T, Liptons was opposite Green St. Greggs is nearer where Coopers used to be .I think Jackie Boyds the photographer was in that wee corner too. Regards Sam.
maggie T
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by maggie T »

Hi Sam,Do you remember the name of the wallpaper shop in Countess Street.There was another shop it didnt last long it was called the Good Wear? Am thinking it could have been the Good Wear before the Wallpaper shop?
In the post to Milda i Mentioned the Kennedys,that what got me thinking,there mother worked in one of those shops
Regards Maggie T.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi Maggie, Was the shop your thinking about called MONROE'S, next to Veronica's.The Kenneday's mother (Mrs Mcrgath) worked in it .It had an upstairs dept.too I think. See you later . Sam.
danmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by danmac »

Hi ScottyD

I have been 'off the air' for sometime so you may have received an answer or two regarding cafés i in Countess Street were:

1. I am not sure what it was called but there was one we used to know it/or call it as the 'Three Blind Mice' or was it themthat ran/owned it?
2. The only other one I can remember was the Regal Café near Veronica's newsagents.

Is that of any help to you?

Tony McGuire
maggie T
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by maggie T »

Hello ,Tony,I a remember the Regal Cafe.Always was a busy cafe ,later years it was The Garden Grill.
danmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by danmac »

Hi Maggie,
Do you think that the Regal was the cafe´Scotty was referring to? I and my friends always thought of it as too 'posh' a café and only went there if dad & mum (step-mother) were there with us! Otherwise the Melbourne' was my cup of tea (coffee) and as Max Bygraves once sung "Once our beer was froffy but now it's froffy coffee". You very seldomly found me next door in the 'WetEnd' except on the 'Monkey Walk' if the Melborne was full. I heard that the chap from the Melborne, Chalmers (nice fellow) who was part of the family was dead. I was a bit of a friend and used to go to school with Aldo Tortolani(o). But that's another story.

Tony
Stanley
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Stanley »

This list might not be from the 50s, it could be earlier, but I think it refers to Dockhead Street. My mother was from Saltcoats and I found the list when clearing her house after she died. I don't know hy she wrote it out, maybe just remembering old times.

Fleming's (fruit shop), Bank, Kirkland (lawyer), Carr's (shoe shop), Black's (iron mongers), Maule's (baker), Napier (?), Electricity shop, Church, Munro (butcher), Maypole (grocer), Cooper's (grocer), McKay (baker), McLean (chemist), Ross's Dairy.

Marshall's (?), Birrell (?), A.K. Young's (?), Gibson (baker), Gents Duncan's, Co-op (furniture), pub, Scholar (grocer), Fullerton.
scottyd
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scottyd »

The cafe i remember wasn't the Regal or Garden Grill - it was further down next door to what was to become Bobby Lennox's pub.
My Dad used to leave me in the cafe with a coca-cola (didn't they tast different and so much better then ?) while he went into the pub next door for a pint.
The owner was Italian (of course) going bald but I just can't remember his name or the cafe's name.