St Mary's Jacks Road

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
maureen gilmour
New Poster
New Poster

St Mary's Jacks Road

Post by maureen gilmour »

Does anyone know what happened to St Mary's primary school next door to St Andrew's on Jacks Road?

I was in Mrs Brodies yr 6 and 7 class in 1978-79, was anyone else? :?
bigwull
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

St Marys

Post by bigwull »

Hi Maureen, The school was knocked down between ten and fifteen years ago (I think) and a housing estate was built on the site.
Bigwull
maureen gilmour
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks Bigwull

Thanks for that, although it seems a bit sad. Ah well you can't hold back progress!
:shock:
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

Hi Maureen,

I attended St Mary's when it was the 'annexe' of the three separate parts of St Mary's Primary School. You attended the annexe for P1 and P2. P3, 4 & 5 were at the 'Old Public' in Argyle Road, then P6 and 7 were at the 'big School' in Springvale Street. The headmaster of the three schools was an incredible man called John Joseph McCann, commonly known as JJ. You may have heard older former pupils speak about him. He travelled between the schools on a bike and he lived in Jacks Road just across from the Annexe.

The housing development off Jacks Road on the former school site is called St Mary's place. The Old Public is a non demominational primary school called Argyle Primary - the part occupied by St Mary's has been demolished. The school in Springvale street has been demolished and replaced by flats. You may remember it was the Westbury Snooker Club for a number of years.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi, J.J.McCann was indeed an incredible man.I remember him as hard ,but fair.I must admit to letting down his tyres on more than one occasion.I ran him and a few others home one night ,it had been my turn to drive St.Mary's mini-bus,I asked him about his holiday in Canada. The bus was quite noisey with everybody talking,but when J.J. started to speak the whole bus just shut up,he had such a commanding voice,and they all listened to him all the way home.I done a job for him once ,a repair to his back step.It only took a shovel of cement,and I didn't charge him.But J.J. said "a good labourer is worthy of his hire " and he gave me 3 tatties out the garden .He came from Hurlford originally ,I think. He was signed for the Celtic at one time.The waines used to call him Baldy.If he was to read over this wee letter , he would probably give me 6 o' the belt for bad spelling and my grammer. but ,what a man.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

wellparkno9 wrote:Hi, J.J.McCann was indeed an incredible man.I remember him as hard ,but fair.I must admit to letting down his tyres on more than one occasion.I ran him and a few others home one night ,it had been my turn to drive St.Mary's mini-bus,I asked him about his holiday in Canada. The bus was quite noisey with everybody talking,but when J.J. started to speak the whole bus just shut up,he had such a commanding voice,and they all listened to him all the way home.I done a job for him once ,a repair to his back step.It only took a shovel of cement,and I didn't charge him.But J.J. said "a good labourer is worthy of his hire " and he gave me 3 tatties out the garden .He came from Hurlford originally ,I think. He was signed for the Celtic at one time.The waines used to call him Baldy.If he was to read over this wee letter , he would probably give me 6 o' the belt for bad spelling and my grammer. but ,what a man.
Do you remember the 'dinner time league' they held up the Glebe? You would have a right few matches on the go then you would see J.J entering the path on his bike at the end next to the garage. When he was mid way he would put a Referees whistle in his mouth and signal the end of the game. He'd then lead dozens of boys runnng down Springvale Street back to the School. On a Wednesday, which was assembly day, he's shout back to us 'get your hym books ready' I could tell you dozens of stories.

A truly remarkable man.
Lynda
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Lynda »

I remember JJ very well.He put me off eating veg.At dinner time he would go round to see who left what on their plate and as usual I got caught with left overs.After a lecture on all the kids in Biafra who were starving and I was leaving food he tried to spoon feed me with it. Since then I cant and wont eat any veg at all.Mind you all the other kids got a laugh when I told him to send my leftovers out to them.

lynda
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

Lynda wrote:I remember JJ very well.He put me off eating veg.At dinner time he would go round to see who left what on their plate and as usual I got caught with left overs.After a lecture on all the kids in Biafra who were starving and I was leaving food he tried to spoon feed me with it. Since then I cant and wont eat any veg at all.Mind you all the other kids got a laugh when I told him to send my leftovers out to them.

lynda
Hi Linda,

I never took school dinners at Primary School but I know JJ was legendary for trying to make children eat their veg. On the other hand though I remember one day the snow was so bad the school was closed early. JJ went round every class to ask if everyone had enough money to get the bus home, and gave money from his own pocket to those who didn't. If you remember both the Ardrossan via Springvale and Hayocks via Springvale buses stopped outside the school in those days.

You mention Biafra and I'm sure you'll remember the 'Black Babies' collections they had at the school. Somehow I don't think today's politically correct world would allow such a term to be used, no matter how well intentioned the collection was.
Lynda
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Lynda »

Yes I remember the black babies collection and as you say we could not do that now.I also remember carrying bags of old clothes to St Mary's and also smartie tubes full of pennies when we were trying to help to build St Brendan's church.

At lunchtime we had to run out of school to get the bus home for dinner when I eventually talk my mum letting me stop the school dinners.If we missed the bus then it was a long walk to fleming cres and back back down.

Does anyone remember the walk from school to the church when we went to St Mary's church for services?
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

Lynda wrote:Yes I remember the black babies collection and as you say we could not do that now.I also remember carrying bags of old clothes to St Mary's and also smartie tubes full of pennies when we were trying to help to build St Brendan's church.

At lunchtime we had to run out of school to get the bus home for dinner when I eventually talk my mum letting me stop the school dinners.If we missed the bus then it was a long walk to fleming cres and back back down.

Does anyone remember the walk from school to the church when we went to St Mary's church for services?
Oh yes...the walk to St Mary's. Nowadays of course the Council would provide buses.
maureen gilmour
New Poster
New Poster

I don't recall a principle called JJ??

I went to St Mary's in primary 5, 6 and 7 in the years 1978, 1979 and 1980. I was in Mrs Elizabeth Brodie's class (she was magnificent)...

There was a female principle at that time...

P7 were in the demountables (I'm pretty sure of that). I also remember there was a great big pile of dirt, we were told not to climb or stand near -did we listen??? NAH!!! so we all got the belt!!

Does anyone recall the Brodie Jump lol?

I remember making a charcoal of Tam O'Shanter in Ms Miller's p5 class (I've a cert from the Ayr Nat Art Gallery for that).

I recall going on an excursion to some mansion where we stayed in dorms and ate in a great big kitchen, we had a disco at the end....

I remember the life size Indian collage we made out of sweety papers that hung outside our p6? class in the main building..I remember the Burn's poetry we learned (which I still carry with me to this day)... I remember our class masses with Father Murphy and Father McGee and I remember going to the 'new' St Mary's chapel on Adrossan Rd...we made our confirmation there (Mrs Brodie gave us lovely certs - her husband was an artist)

I lived in Eglington Place and had a friend Kathleen Turner Miller Road. Peter was hit by a car and lived in Canal St - he was all stokied up but he recovered.....

I had a friend Jamie who was an alter boy and he lived in the braes flats. I had a crush on Martin ehehehehe and liked Frank and Charley who were cousins...not forgetting William Cunningham - he was a character!!!

I was friends with Gillian Lennox (Bobby Lennox's daughter) We were in the same class - She went to the states with her family for a little while and then came back with macrame woolen hair ribbons and awesome yellowy/green sneekers (funny the things we recall)....They live across from the boating pond in the sandstone homes...

I also had a couple of friends (two boy's) that lived in Eglington Street and there were the american's the Lou's (Ness's kids) that lived across the road from us in Eglington Place).

School dinners - sweet! (you wouldn't complain if you had to make and take a packed lunch everyday).

Hope to hear back sometime soon...

Maureen
elvis1913
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by elvis1913 »

Hi Maureen that was a delight to read, I bet you could write up a great ''recollections'' why don't you give it a whirl. It would be much appreciated by all our Threetowners. See the top of the page up there where it says ...Visit Threetowners Home Page well just click on there and you can have a wee read at the others in there and it will give you an idea how it goes. :lol: A big welcome BTW
cheers Josephine.