James and Janet McInnes

For those researching family in the three towns area.
clockie
Settling In
Settling In

James and Janet McInnes

Post by clockie »

McInnes and Luck

James and Janet McInnes emigrated to Australia on the Nugget in 1853.
They were accompanied by the Luck family who were said to be relatives. In the 1851 census they were all living in Stevenston.
Can anyone tell me who they were and how they were related.
Thanks
Ann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

McInnes family

Post by Ann »

Hi, Do you have a little more information on James and Janet? I was not able to find them in the 1851 Census.
Ann :oops:
Shirley
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Shirley »

McInnes? That name sounds familiar. My Grandma's maiden name was Julia McInnes and she married Joe Parker. They later divorced and she married Robert Biggar later on and was basically known as Julia Biggar and she lived all her life in Ardrossan. I wonder if she is related to the McInnes family you mention.
clockie
Settling In
Settling In

Post by clockie »

The 1851 census for Ardrossan Chapelwell Street (very hard to read)
James McInnes head 39 Gardener born Stevenston
Janet " wife 44 born "
James " son 11 born Kilmarnock
Agnes " dau 9 born Stevenston
Mary " dau 7 "

Janet Luck relation 25 Seamstress "
James " 1 "
Ann " 4 "

On second thoughts I don't think that the Luck family travelled to Australia with James and his family.

Janet was the second wife of James and her name was Janet McLaughland. Father John McLauchland mother Janet White.
Janet was born in 1803 and made the great old age of 99. She died in Australia . I don't have the death record of James

I would very much like to find the connection of the McInnes' and the Lucks.
Who was James McInnes first married to ? How many children did he have. Since James and Janet were married in 1845 one assumes that the children in 1951 were from his first marriage.

Jean
clockie
Settling In
Settling In

Re: James and Janet McInnes

Post by clockie »

I must add to my post on Janet and James McInnes. The name of the family with them in 1851 was not Luck but Jack. The wife, also named Janet, was the daughter of Janet McInnes nee McLachlan. She married John Jack and they went to Australia around 1870. They lived in the same area as Janet and James McInnes and are all buried in the cemetary at Melbourne.