Lyric Picture House, Ardrossan

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Annie Mathieson
New Poster
New Poster

Lyric Picture House, Ardrossan

Post by Annie Mathieson »

I hear the old picture house is to be demolished and flats built in situ! Does anyone know any more about this project; why it's being demolished, who the builder is and what's happening to "all that history"?
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

hello annie i have not heard about the lyric being demolished for housing,but this has now given me the incentive to have it photographed.i really should have had it done b4 now.but will put that to rights over the next couple of days.wont be today im afraid as its chukin it down lol
james barr
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Lyric Picture House, Ardrossan

Post by Mitchy »

Annie Mathieson wrote:I hear the old picture house is to be demolished and flats built in situ! Does anyone know any more about this project; why it's being demolished, who the builder is and what's happening to "all that history"?
I've heard the flats rumour too Annie. The building is a an eyesore in its present state and personally I think new flats will greatly improve the street. It's clear no-one is interested in doing much with the building as it stands, although I do appreciate it is a big part of 20th Century Ardrossan history and that many people have fond memories of it (my Father included).
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

photos of old lyric

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

as promised i have piccys of the old lyric, from what i have found out it will be getting renovated in some form but not demolished,indeed when i took the photo's round the side in hill st there was a big skip, foto's can b found here.

photos of old lyric.jpg
Last edited by Hughie on Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Duplicate image deleted when images moved from Photobucket
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thanks for that Jimmy. Looking at the photo's, and I did mean to ask before if that was a dwelling at the top of the Lyric building?
Seems to me that that would make a nice penthouse with views to Arran - or maybe you'd have to go up another storie.

BTW the original name for the Lyric was the "Princes" according to Patrick O'Connor's books "Down the Bath Rock" and "In a Marmalade Saloon".