Winton Street Cobbler's Cottage Ardrossan

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Jimbo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jimbo »

Hi y"all
I thought the cobbler was Dorothy Fanges dad .
cheers Jim.
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

Jimbo wrote:Hi y"all
I thought the cobbler was Dorothy Fanges dad .
cheers Jim.
Hi jimbo, sorry never hear of Dorothy Fanges or her Dad but you could be right, dependes what year we are talking about. I am talking about the late 1940s and the wee Cobblers hut was definatly called Hayings{hainings} at that time, and i assume the Cobbler was called Mr Haining, now i have given my age away! all the best George
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Hi Jim

Now you know I am just a young thing :-) but I thought Fainges cobbler shop was on Princes Street, across from the Eglinton Hotel - next to a pub - was it Macs Bar? Mr and Mrs Fainges lived in Clyde Terrace opposite St Andrews Road.

M
xx
Jimbo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jimbo »

Hi y"all
Dorothy [fanges/fainges] was in our class at Eglinton school, they stayed in Glasgow street almost across from the hut [just down from the Caley gates.] .Mr Fainges/Fanges might have sold it . the other Hainings I remember was May Haining,s the fruit shop at the corner of Barr street

Barr street was the smoothest street in Ardrossan, great for roller skating
and the incredible smell of fresh baked bread coming from "the dispatch"

Happy days indeed. the smell of fresh baked breid!!!!!
Jim.
canfactory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by canfactory »

Yes Meg, I remember Fanges the cobbler's on Princes street and like you remember the family when they lived on Clyde Terrace. Wasn't there two daughters? Dorothy and Margaret?

Also, I remember a cycle shop (Climies?) close to Fanges and wasn't there a gas shop right on the corner of Princes Street and Glasgow Street?

C.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Just talking to Bobby and Eddie and they think the cobblers was behind
Maroneys, on the corner of that lane that ran from Winton Street.
Netta
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Winton Street Cobbler's Cottage Ardrossan

Post by Hughie »

Tom McGrattan posted the top photo from 2006 earlier in this topic, it shows the building I recall being called the Cobbler's Cottage - I feel it probably was a cobbler's cottage well before our time though. As I stated earlier my mother-in-law told me many years ago she lived there with her adopted Anderson family - they had moved up from Barasssie Street in Troon - that'll interest our golfing son. ;)

The bottom Photo was captured from Google and dated August 2021. The tree on left on the corner is where the cottage was. The building on the near corner shows 10 Winton Street.

My MIL's adopted father Fergus Anderson (Ship's Carpenter) was knocked down in Glasgow street in 1929 and died in Glasgow Western Infirmary. Home address was recorded as 2 Winton Street, Ardrossan. Can't think of anywhere else 2 Winton Street would be but the cottage, there's nothing beyond but the Glasgow Street buildings and their back yards.