Stewed Cow-heel and Cow-heel Jelly

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
susie17
Settling In
Settling In

Stewed Cow-heel and Cow-heel Jelly

Post by susie17 »

This was taken from the old Glasgow Cookery Book
No I have never tried it ....don t think I will.but if anyone brave enough to try dig in. It just goes to show what our ancestors would eat.
Hear is the receipe
Ingredients
1 oz butter nearly 1 pint of milk
1 table spoon chopped 1 table spoon Flour
parsley 2 onions
1 Cow-heel or Ox foot pepper and salt

Method(not for the faint harted)
If the hoof has not been removed put the foot in boiling water and let soak till the hoof will come off(the boiling water must be frequently renewed) then chop the foot in four pices wash blanche scrap put into a pot with just cold water enough to cover it simmer for 1 hour. Blend smoothly a tablespoon flour with a little cold water or milk stir into the stew still till boils for 5 mins then add the butter and parsley serve neatly with the sauce over. the liquor in which the foot was boiled will be strong jelly when cold. If it has benn boiled without onions it may be sweetened to taste and flavoured with lemon it is excellent for invalids or it can be used for soup or broth if savoury

Well what do you think ? Some receipe I have the book in front of me if anyone would like some more mouth watering receipes.

:D
elvis1913
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by elvis1913 »

Welcome susie Ha ha ha brings new meaning to the phrase ''to die for''

Mac
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Mac »

Hi Susie and thanks for this recipe :

Just love home made soup and this will make a great stock for scotch broth :lol:
Can't wait to see the butcher's face when I ask for a pair of cow hooves :P
susie17
Settling In
Settling In

Post by susie17 »

Hi Mac
Yes you may get a funny look from your butcher. got lots of more yummy receipes from the Glasgow Cookery Book . ........give me tatties and mince any day :D
Mac
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Mac »

Look forward to reading more yummy recipes Susie :)

Yes, tatties and mince'll dae me too. Love to mash some swede in the tatties though
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Mac do you mean turnip or swede? The local English based, Scottish supermarkets will NOT make allowances for our description of turnip (which is the big vegetable that you peel, dice, boil and mash) or turnip - which is the little white nippy vegetables that are about the size of a small beetroot.

I am sure you mean turnip - cant imagine anyone wanting thae wee nippy things with their mince:-)

Meg
Mac
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Mac »

Aye, you're right Meg. It's the big yellowish ones I like mashed in with the tatties. I've got used to calling them swede now. I'm not so keen on the wee white turnips.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis