New England Road

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Mac
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Mac »

The growing problem of antisocial behaviour is well known and documented in the soaring statistics for violent crime and aggressive behaviour. Now, I don't know the answer, but I do believe that the proliferation of films and TV programmes that depict crime and violence as entertainment is part of the cause. That the Broadcasting Authorities continue to purchase and screen such material, on the absurd grounds that it simply "reflects reality", is a scandal. They are more concerned with ratings and audience share rather than with a desire to have a positive beneficial influence.
Having said that, I also think that parents have much to answer for. Personal or communal responsibility is being replaced by the state, and the more completely government assumes responsibility for problem kids, the less people will understand that part of civility is having the courage to reprimand someone for spitting on a granny, and not pass by on the other side. If we continue to treat comparatively small acts of thuggishness as matters purely for the Government, then we will never get thuggishness off our streets.

Parents must also stand up and be counted and stop relying on the nanny state to sort the problems out!! Instead of asking what the Government is going to do about the yobs let us ask ourselves - what can we do about it?

(For starters, parents should stop youngsters watching this trash and stop buying these violent "shoot em up" PC and Playstation games. ) :evil:
hears53
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by hears53 »

Linda sorry to hear your having a bad time in Saltcaots ,
43 years ago I stayed in Clarke Place just of New England,
it was a good place to stay then ,I hope it works out for
you and yous soon .
Catherine
Lynda
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Lynda »

You would notice a big difference now Catherine if you stayed there now.Some of the people have beene here for years and dont want to move but I know one guy who stayed across from me was born in the house he stayed in 60 odd year ago and he had to move.It really is a shame for the older ones.
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

Actually it wisnae aw a bed o' roses back then. Ah left in 1955 and there was trouble with some of the young yins up in the Mayfield Housing Scheme even then. Nothing like the drugs problem today but they shifted a number of people out of the slums at the top of Raise Street, (just before Argyle Road), up to that area and I think they might have lacked the right social attitudes. Its not everyone that can change the environment they were brought up in and you can shift people as they did in Glasgow in the 1950's to a new housing scheme at Easterhouse but the social environment is still the Gorbles and the time bomb eventually goes off. Wee Ali
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

NEW ENGLAND ROAD

Post by Jim McCreadie »

When you wish Police attendance, anonymously telephone (not from your own phone) whoever and advise them that you're going outside with your gun! Then see how long it takes the Police to arrive.

It worked for me when we occupied a Married Quarter in Broadmeadows; a hard area of Melbourne as Hugh will attest!
joromomi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by joromomi »

Hi Mac, that was quite the statement you wrote, but I must admit I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Some kids attitudes these days are so very bad.
I am a great believer in spare the rod ....spoil the child, to a small degree.
Joyce. :)
Jimbo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Y'All
Agree with Joromimi That was a great post Mac. I remember a statement by Carl Jung in his opinion,,, If you treat a true criminal mind with liberal kindness, the only emotion the criminal will will experience is that of contempt for you..

Here in New Zealand the goverment is hell bent in taking away the power of the parents, A school counsilor has more power than the parents, even arranging abortions for 13 year olds and not allowing the parents to even know that their daughter is pregnant. They[the goverment] is going to pass a law forbidding even smacking your children.

In our labour goverment, unfortunately the really powerful posts are held by lesbian feminists and male gays. so Political correctness rules with an Iron fist. Marxism is alive and very well. I dont think Britain is much better, or is it?.
Jim.
bigwull
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

New England Road

Post by bigwull »

Hi Hears53 I also lived in Clark Place in the sixties (No 1) there was always a little trouble in the area but nothing too bad. Bigwull
hears53
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by hears53 »

Hi Bigwull I lived 7 Clark Place moved when I got married in 64 ,
I think most towns has streets like New Englnd ,your just lucky if
it,s not the one we live in

catherine
Mac
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Mac »

Mr. Sense had been with us for many years.
No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such value lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm and that life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable Parenting strategies (adults, not kids, are in charge).

His health began to rapidly deteriorate when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Mr. Sense declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student; but, could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense finally gave up the ghost after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, she spilled a bit in her lap, and was awarded a huge financial settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust, his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.

He is survived by two stepbrothers; My Rights and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

If you still remember him, pass this on; if not, join the majority and do nothing.
joromomi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by joromomi »

Hi Mac , I'm not into reading ''long ones ''too much, but that was very well written , how times have changed eh!!!
Joyce. :)
tuc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tuc »

born 1966 and stayed knox place till 1980 remember football on the park only time i remember was bother on guy fox night. remember most names from the surrounding streets