New England Road

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Lynda
leading Poster
leading Poster

New England Road

Post by Lynda »

I was reading this weeks Herald and saw that the new england road area has hit the headlines again.A few years back it was Anderson drive and it had been nicknamed Little Bosnia.Our street has quietened down a bit but they all seemed to have moved up new england road.I dont go out the house at night unless I really need to and I dont answer the door.All the boys have keys to let themself in and if any family are coming they phone before they come then I know who it may be.
The council sent a fortune about 7yrs ago doing all the outside and inside of the houses up and it was a good area to live then they go and spoil it all by putting undesirable families in and then leave us to it.We are surrounded by yobs and drug dealers and if you phone the police they very rarely come when they do it is all over with before they arrive.

Surely there must be something that can be done for all the decent people who live in the area.Does anyone else have this sort of problem where they live?How do you cope
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Hi Lynda

Sorry to hear that your area is that bad. Why dont you and your "ok" neighbours pressure the council into putting up street cameras. I know this has made a huge difference in some of the less "desirable" areas of Irvine.

Meg
Lynda
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Lynda »

Hi Meg

We have asked for camera's but were told that there was no money for them,and that they would be destroyed if they put them up.The police have no control in our area.I phoned them one night at 11pm about a noisy house party which had spilled out onto the street,you get put through to a call center and they inform the station about the call.At midnight my phone went and it was the call center phoning me back to see if the party was still going on and if so she would then inform the station.
I thought things would get better when the wardens started up but they seem to do more for the ones causing trouble than the other residents.Now I am seriously thinking of looking for another house.
Jimmym
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Jimmym »

Hi Linda sorry to here of your troubles but have you gave asbo a phone and the drug line these are two partys that are there to help us good people and just as meg has said what a differance it has been since the cameras where put in and since the police have changed there scanners to digital the yobs and drugdealers dont know where the police are now but keep up your head up and i hope things do get better for you as when i was young i sometime ran about new england road but thats when kids had respected for there elders those days are long gone in some parts its just like mad max its time for it to stop before there no way back for this world.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Very sad! And I have to add that similar things are happening here in Australia. The family unit to my mind remains paramount in helping to maintaining community values. Those who are neglecting their resposibilities in guiding their children are the ones who need a good kick up the backside.

This is a very critical issue and therefore I've moved it to the threetowners Lounge
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

What have we came to? When was this allowed to happen? I feel that we have just sleepwalked into this alien society. As I have said before, in Japan there are vending machines on street corners that sell ciggies and booze - and they aren't even vandalised. What's the difference? Our up and coming generation dont seem to respect themselves or their environment - if they dont respect themselves, how can they respect others? Wish someone would come up with the answer - and I dont mean a mamby pamby we can all be friends and group hug answer. People who still have values have to do something.

But what ....

Meg
Jimbo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Y"all
This seems to be a wide world problem, Although here in the South island [New Zealand] we are a good bit behind the times.[Thank god]

South Auckland is real heavy with violence/drug problems and Hugh is right ,when the family breaks down, society breaks down! Our police here have their "Hands tied" with political correctness, especially if there is ethnics involved. But lets face it!!! there are no politicians with the balls to to minister justice which would give the victims at least some satisfaction that society at large really cares of what has happened to them.
Jim
joromomi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by joromomi »

Lynda, it must be awful for you and the decent families who live there.THankfully where I live it is still relatively ''clean '' and safe, although like everywhere else there will probably be a seedier side.
It is tough when the cops won't come out or no funding is available.
They should bring back Mandatory National Service, it might teach some of the yobbos respect and keep them of the streets.
Keep us posted,
Take care,
Joyce :)
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Catherine Belle »

Linda,
You can't let them take over your neighbourhood. You have to fight back.
Everyone should get together and attend every council meeting and complain. Make as much noise as possible about the lack of police cooperation. Bombard your local councilman with phone calls, written complaints and petitions for extra police patrols and curfews in the area.
Write to the newspapers. Form a neighbourhood watch group.
I'm amazed at the lack of police cooperation! Inexcusable!!!
Good luck hen.

Catherine
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Lynda
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Lynda »

There is a neighbour group set up and I have joined it and we are fighting back.One of the families has got an ASBO and cant be out after 9.30pm which makes a difference.

Catherine you were saying about the police,They really have lost control in this area.I know they have a lot of work and are over stretched but you very rarely see them in this area at night but they will drive by in daytime.
I do agree about the breakdown in families if the kids are not discipled by parents and left to run then we have no hope at all.Even now my mum and dad are not long in letting me if I do wrong
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Jimbo wrote: But lets face it!!! there are no politicians with the balls to minister justice which would give the victims at least some satisfaction that society at large really cares of what has happened to them.
Jim
Hi Seamus - Could the story about the missing balls be something to do with the NZ Prime Minister not having any inasmuch as she's a woman;-} or at least I think she is, the jury was out in my house when we saw her interviewed concerning the memorial just finished at Hyde Park Corner!

Meg :-)
Jimbo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Meg
Helen Clark, no balls ???? I wouldnt bet on that. Her voice gets deeper by the day.
Jim