WINTON PARK

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

WINTON PARK

Post by Penny Tray »

I had an auntie and uncle who lived in Winton Street, in the shadow of the big gate and turnstiles of Winton Park, and whom, pre-school, I used to visit often with my parents; I attended Winton Primary School between 5 and 11 years of age, climbing the boundary wall every day to look into Winton Park, often to see Mr. Allison, the burgh gardener, cutting the grass and wishing that one day I could play on the pitch; for more times than I care to remember climbing over the same wall to evade payment and watch Winton Rovers play on the pitch on a Saturday or mid-week in the summer; had one or two personal successes on the pitch at the Winton and Eglinton School sports days, which were held there every year; eventually achieving my dream by playing football on the pitch in a Schools Cup Final; and as recently as the 23rd of March, inexplicably responding to an urge to travel back to Ardrossan for the sole reason of watching the Rovers play Muirkirk Juniors. Travelling back home that day there wasn’t a thought in my mind of ending a love affair that had endured for over seventy years BUT to learn here that the current Committee are replacing the grass pitch with astroturf….! You could knock me down with a feather! Football on an artificial surface – NOT FOR ME!
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: WINTON PARK

Post by brian f »

Penny Tray

I have to agree with you. Though the reason for artificial surface is "financial"
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

PT
Winton park is probably one of the best playing surfaces in Ayrshire and I like you regret the need for it to be replaced. The situation is that to keep it in good condition takes a lot of work not to mention money for materials. Over the years the work has been carried out by willing volunteers, the present volunteers are not as fit to do this work now. Another reason is that Winton rovers is a community club now and has a good number of children and ladies teams attached to the club all wanting to use the park, and if allowed to would cause major wear and tear to the surface. With the synthetic surface all will be able to use the park without the need to pay to use facilities out with the town. I know it hurts to see this historic park succumb to modern materials but I can understand the benefits that will be achieved with this change.
Not an ideal situation to be playing football on plastic surfaces but a lot of Junior teams are playing on similar surfaces especially in the Glasgow area, where a lot of Winton’s away games are played.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

It's difficult to find anyone who prefers astroturf to grass. Reasons for making the change at Winton Park can be seen in this article in the current Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald.
https://www.ardrossanherald.com/news/24 ... -planners/

George
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I recognise that Meekan and George both live locally and are ardent fans of Winton Rovers, attending most, if not all, of their home matches, and am grateful for their detailed responses, which certainly inform me, but don’t console me.

Living away for many years, I have missed the transition whereby the Local Authority seem to have abrogated their responsibility to provide football amenities for the community, and Winton Rovers have taken it up.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think there are “Council” pitches any longer between Dalry Road and Central Avenue. There used to be three. Certainly none at Harvey’s Park which now comprises houses. There used to be one there. And none on the Castlehill where there used to be one.

So, if any of the teams that I played for personally – 1st Ardrossan Life Boys; 1st Ardrossan Boys’ Brigade; Winton Primary School; Eglinton Junior Secondary School, and Castle United – still existed and wanted to play in Ardrossan they could only do so at Winton Park, and not now on a natural grass surface.

Am I correct in my assumption that Winton Park is now the only football pitch in Ardrossan?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

I think it’s true to say that Winton Park is the only full-size grass football pitch in the town. The are mini goalposts on the wee park near Saint Andrew’s Road and Saint Margaret’s Road and perhaps mini pitches in school playgrounds.

Digressing slightly, last season Winton Rovers were promoted from the West of Scotland Football League Third Division and this season have won another promotion to the First Division. Successive promotions is a big achievement at any level of football. With two games left, Rovers are top of the league with 69 points. Only one other team can get 69 points - and that’s if they with all four of their remaining matches. If Winton win or draw on Saturday, they will be presented with the league trophy as champions. Kick-off is at 2pm at Winton Park. I hesitate to add that this will be the last game played on grass…

George
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

I understand that the work on the playing field, stand and dressing rooms won’t be completed for the the start of the season so hopefully the league will give us some away games to start with or we will need to borrow a park.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

ARDROSSAN WINTON ROVERS HAVE WON THE LEAGUE AND GAINED PROMOTION FOR THE SECOND YEAR IN A ROW.

After beating Caledonian Locomotives 5-4, they were presented with the West of Scotland Football Second Division League Trophy. There were happy celebrations with players and coaching staff and their families as well as supporters.

George