windmill st.,on the rocks

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
joantoyboy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

windmill st.,on the rocks

Post by joantoyboy »

i was looking at some really old pictures of windmill st., on the rocks across from the old beach pavilion there looks to be a wee house, i grew up in windmill st., during the 40,s dont even remember there even being a foundation there and we played there all the time, so can anyone tell me anything about that wee house. joan
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

Hi Joan,

I take it you mean the rocks at the Windmill St side of the Pavilion, and not the Winton circus side?

Ian Mitchell
joantoyboy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by joantoyboy »

hello ian the windmill st., side. joan murphty
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Joan,

Is this the photo with the wee house on the extreme left? That's a new one on me. Again there might be a mention of it in Saltcoats Old & New
Saltcoats_Harbour_Bay.jpg
Just along from there, about in the middle of those houses facing the harbour, I remember there was an amusement arcade - my brother and his wife lived in the attic of that building in the early fifties. During the fair fortnight alongside there, there would be men selling crockery, linen and other such stuff out the back of a van. You'd swear you were at the Barras with the patter - it was entertaining just to stand back and listen to it.
joantoyboy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by joantoyboy »

hi hughie dora murray owned that amuement arcade those attics above it were hers as was 41 windmill st., they were awful, we lived at 47,still havent saw any mention of the wee house on the rocks will go back through saltcoats old and new again, i just took a quick look. joan : :)
Jimmym
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Jimmym »

Hi Joantoyboy,
If you go to the following link it might help the same as the rest of the help you have got from the rest of the gang if you click on my web site address at the bottum of the page hope this helps .

Bestwishes Jimmy
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Is that wee house round about where the Pavilion would have been?
Maybe someone would have a record of what was on the site prior to the Pavilion being built.
Netta
joantoyboy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by joantoyboy »

HI NETTA THE HOUSE IS ON THE ROCKS ,LOOKED IN SALTCOATS OLD AND NEW DID NOT SEE A MENTION OF IT ,I.,LL KEEP SEARCHING. JOAN
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

hi joan the first time i seen that foto i made enqiries about it,what i found out the sewer ran right out htere and that wee house was some sort of pump house, that sewer was removed in the past 7 years or so so it was there up till that time and active. there was a big european project to clean up beaches of which part and the biggest part was to lay a whole new sewer system.
james barr (brvhrtjimmy)
knxyl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by knxyl »

James,
We were told not to swim at Sandilands because the sewage went out there and you could see the big pipe when the tide was out.This would be in the 40's. Margaret
hullaw
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by hullaw »

Was it still called Sandylands (here haw, whit sand?? was the cry) back in the 40's?

It was and still is a hellhole of a place to take a holiday...
still, you don't expect to be bright and bon vivant
dreamer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dreamer »

I've found the house on the 1910 OS Map, where it's identified as a 'Bath House':
Bathing House.jpeg
Click to Enlarge

Looks like the perspective of the original picture above tricked us into thinking it was in line with the rest of Windmill St, when infact it was a bit further back!

And here's the map overlayed on the good old aerial photos:

Last edited by Hughie on Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced missing photo