Magnesia House in 1851 census

For those researching family in the three towns area.
ozzyliz
New Poster
New Poster

Magnesia House in 1851 census

Post by ozzyliz »

My Gt x3 Grandfather's brother James Spence and family are listed in the 1851 census for Irvine at "Magnesia House" as an Ag. Labourer (his wife a Dairy Keeper). The next residence is listed as "Heathfield" with John Rankin JP.

In 1841 they were living at "Sidehead Farm" (?) with James listed as Farmer (next residence was Knock?? Farm and previous one was Sidehead Cottage, the one before Ettington Cottage).

Can anyone please help me in finding where these places were?

My Gtx3 Grandfather Robert Spence migrated to Australia with his family in 1848.

Thankyou very much, in advance
Liz
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Magnesia House in 1851 census

Post by Penny Tray »

I remember a Heathfield House on the main Kilwinning Road, Irvine, in the 1960s. It may since have been demolished?

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3663027

There is a Sidehead Farm off the main Irvine/Barrhead Road.

And I wonder if "Ettington" might be "Ittington" Farm in the Parish of Ardrossan.

I also wondering if 'Magnesia House' could be a place of employment as opposed to a residence, although, I suppose there could have been accommodation provided at the works.

The Universal Gazetteer and Geographical Dictionary 1845 by John Thomson, states: -

"In Irvine, there is a shipbuilding yard, a manufactory of ropes, a magnesia house, and some other works and manufactories."
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Sidehead farm was near Knockewart farm in the parish of Ardrossan. It was already a ruin in 1856. You can see the location on this OS map:
https://maps.nls.uk/view/74425799
Look for Knockewart Hills/Loch on the left and you'll see Knockewart farm nearby. A bit to the right of the farm is Sidehead (ruin).
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Good shout hahaya. If it's the one, Sidehead Farm in the Parish of Ardrossan, would also be a close neighbour to what your map shows as Meikle ITLINGTON and Little ITLINGTON farms but which more recently, I think, are referred to as ITTINGTON as opposed to ITLINGTON.
ozzyliz
New Poster
New Poster

Post by ozzyliz »

My goodness ... such helpful replies came in whilst I was asleep !! :D
Thankyou hahaya and Penny.

That Sidehead Farm was a ruin already by 1856 explains why the family was no longer there in the 1851 cs, I guess. So interesting to see where it was (and I then went looking and found some wonderful photos of areas nearby, posted by member Iain ).

My Gtx3 Grandfather Robert Spence stated his "native place" was Irvine, Scotland, when he arrived in Australia in 1848 and parents were John Spence and Agnes, both dead.
His wife was Janet Sellars, from Lochranza, Arran. The six children were all baptised at Saltcoats in the months before the family left. This Spence family are acknowledged as pioneers of the Bega area of NSW.

With the help of DNA testing, I have found a match to a descendant of James Spence (my original query), and James now seems more likely to be Robert's brother (per OPR, both born Kilwinning, 1803 and 1805, to parents John Spence and Nanny/Nancy Howie). I also have matches to descendants of Jean Spence (Mrs Muir) also born Kilwinning 1810?? to father John Spence (mothers name not known on death register entry).

Re Magnesia House : Penny you posted an article in "Saltcoats : On This Day in History" on 12 Jan 2017 which reported the deeds of a chap who lived at Magnesia House. In August, member MANBEAR wrote about his grandmother and Gt grandmother who had both lived there (the former's death there in 1909). It does seem that it was a residence of some sort ... I wonder where it was.

Thankyou both for your help and interest.
best wishes .. Liz
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Magnesia House is mentioned again in the following link: -

http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/ayr1606.htm
MANBEAR
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by MANBEAR »

ozzyliz wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:31 pm My goodness ... such helpful replies came in whilst I was asleep !! :D
Thankyou hahaya and Penny.

That Sidehead Farm was a ruin already by 1856 explains why the family was no longer there in the 1851 cs, I guess. So interesting to see where it was (and I then went looking and found some wonderful photos of areas nearby, posted by member Iain ).

My Gtx3 Grandfather Robert Spence stated his "native place" was Irvine, Scotland, when he arrived in Australia in 1848 and parents were John Spence and Agnes, both dead.
His wife was Janet Sellars, from Lochranza, Arran. The six children were all baptised at Saltcoats in the months before the family left. This Spence family are acknowledged as pioneers of the Bega area of NSW.

With the help of DNA testing, I have found a match to a descendant of James Spence (my original query), and James now seems more likely to be Robert's brother (per OPR, both born Kilwinning, 1803 and 1805, to parents John Spence and Nanny/Nancy Howie). I also have matches to descendants of Jean Spence (Mrs Muir) also born Kilwinning 1810?? to father John Spence (mothers name not known on death register entry).

Re Magnesia House : Penny you posted an article in "Saltcoats : On This Day in History" on 12 Jan 2017 which reported the deeds of a chap who lived at Magnesia House. In August, member MANBEAR wrote about his grandmother and Gt grandmother who had both lived there (the former's death there in 1909). It does seem that it was a residence of some sort ... I wonder where it was.

Thankyou both for your help and interest.
best wishes .. Liz
my great grandmother was a maid in magnesia house where my grandmother was born out of wedlock to a John woods a fruit merchant of ardrossan my understanding that the house was a resident for miners etc
Manbear
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

MANBEAR wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:28 am my understanding that the house was a resident for miners etc
Manbear
I believe you're right Manbear. My great granny was born there in 1871 and her father was a collier. It was next to Auchenharvie Colliery. In fact on her birth certificate it said "Old Magnesia Works Auchenharvie Colliery". The census 2 months later said "Magnesia Houses".
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
MANBEAR
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by MANBEAR »

hahaya2004 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:16 pm
MANBEAR wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:28 am my understanding that the house was a resident for miners etc
Manbear
I believe you're right Manbear. My great granny was born there in 1871 and her father was a collier. It was next to Auchenharvie Colliery. In fact on her birth certificate it said "Old Magnesia Works Auchenharvie Colliery". The census 2 months later said "Magnesia Houses".
Thanks for that my great grandmother died in magnesia house where she continued to live and work along with my grandmother TIL she died in 19111 when my grandmother was dispatched to Belfast to live with her mums brother who was a minister as her grandfather a miner from raise street believed she would get a better upbringing
manbear
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I see Magnesia Houses now, between Auchenharvie Colliery and Auchenharvie Colliery No. 2 Pit.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/75494345
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Still can't find the Irvine ones though. Must be south of Heathfield or somewhere nearby. The census people usually started an the town centre and worked their way outwards.
They're not mentioned in the Name book either. I'm beginning to think the name was only used locally and wasn't the official one. There's a row of houses called Factory but they were occupied by weavers. Magnesia Houses may have been near there.
https://maps.nls.uk/view/74930264
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

hahaya,

It's on this map, directly above the Irvine Academy, which would make it in close proximity to Heathfield House.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/74491863