Arran ferry

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Arran ferry

Post by Bruce »

I thought I had posted a reply earlier, but it appears to have got lost...

looking at it from the point of view of Arran residents, and of tourists, Troon has a number of advantages. Better road links. It apparently has a better “bad weather” record - with no need for the boats to do a “handbrake turn” when they enter the harbour.

And Troon station has a far better train service than Ardrossan harbour - 4 trains an hour to Ayr/Glasgow, and trains to kilmarnock and Stranraer. Ardrossan has one service an hour (at best).

But. The crossing is longer - 18 miles compared to 13. And troon station - although better served than Ardrossan - is a mile and a half from the harbour. So from a pedestrian “integrated transport” perspective, it’s very lacking.

Both Troon and Ardrossan harbours are privately owned. Troon had some investment when the seacat moved there - but is now unused. The Troon owners are promising further investment to make their facility attractive to the Arran service.

I would hope that the outcome would be a kick in the backside for Peel ports (the ardrossan owners) and some much-needed investment in the Ardrossan facilities.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

if you look at the Train map,it shows the isolation of the Troon Harbour to the Station.

Of course it goes without saying , Troon is very much "more up market" than here,that said South Ayrshire Council perceive themselves to be the better part of the shire.....(but it's not so many years ago, Troon was a dump)
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

The plot thickens. Questions on facebook on MP Patricia Gibson's facebook page suggest a trial took place for the ferry at Troon in 2015 to see whether it could get into port in bad weather.

Bonzo.. Looks like you may be correct. Writing is on the wall.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Vinegarjoe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Vinegarjoe »

Not really surprised. I worked for an oil company in Aberdeen. They had a social club which organised cheap weekends (five *) for employees three or four times a year, to various luxury resorts. I couldn't go because of work but one of my bosses did go. He lives an Banchory near Aberdeen. The "do" was at Auchrannie House Hotel on Arran for a luxury weekend. When next I saw him he grabbed me for some info. Had a great time at Auchrannie, but prior to going, he and family had arrived in Ardrossan a few hours early to take in the "sights", before the boat. He asked me where Ardrossan ACTUALLY was. He and family had walked a distance in all four directions and only found a crossroads with a few shops/pubs. Believing they had missed Ardrossan completely, they carried on with their weekend oblivious.
He couldn't believe it when I told him that what he had seen was IT!!

Says it all really!!!
MANBEAR
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by MANBEAR »

You can be sure the cost will increase if it moves to Troon unless Port charges are cheaper,as the crossing is a we bit longer so more cost to CalMac for fuel which is a big part of running the service.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

http://www.ardrossanherald.com/news/148 ... step_down/
Confirms the previous dates that contract is for.
SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Vinegarjoe wrote:Not really surprised. I worked for an oil company in Aberdeen. They had a social club which organised cheap weekends (five *) for employees three or four times a year, to various luxury resorts. I couldn't go because of work but one of my bosses did go. He lives an Banchory near Aberdeen. The "do" was at Auchrannie House Hotel on Arran for a luxury weekend. When next I saw him he grabbed me for some info. Had a great time at Auchrannie, but prior to going, he and family had arrived in Ardrossan a few hours early to take in the "sights", before the boat. He asked me where Ardrossan ACTUALLY was. He and family had walked a distance in all four directions and only found a crossroads with a few shops/pubs. Believing they had missed Ardrossan completely, they carried on with their weekend oblivious.

Says it all really!!!
Great memories of the South beach hotels.And I thought they were in Saltcoats. :wink: Where is banchory...
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

brian f wrote:
Vinegarjoe wrote:Not really surprised. I worked for an oil company in Aberdeen. They had a social club which organised cheap weekends (five *) for employees three or four times a year, to various luxury resorts. I couldn't go because of work but one of my bosses did go. He lives an Banchory near Aberdeen. The "do" was at Auchrannie House Hotel on Arran for a luxury weekend. When next I saw him he grabbed me for some info. Had a great time at Auchrannie, but prior to going, he and family had arrived in Ardrossan a few hours early to take in the "sights", before the boat. He asked me where Ardrossan ACTUALLY was. He and family had walked a distance in all four directions and only found a crossroads with a few shops/pubs. Believing they had missed Ardrossan completely, they carried on with their weekend oblivious.

Says it all really!!!
Great memories of the South beach hotels.And I thought they were in Saltcoats. :wink: Where is banchory...
I know, Brian, never thought of the South Beach hotels as Ardrossan back then, just an extension os Saltcoats since that was where the 'action' was..apart from the Red Herring.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Vinegarjoe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Vinegarjoe »

Morag

The Red Herring....was that more commonly known as the Tap Shoap????
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Vinegarjoe wrote:Morag

The Red Herring....was that more commonly known as the Tap Shoap????
That was the public bar Vinegarjoe - the lounge was the Red Herring.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

From the Herald(the one that is nearly a real paper,although, spelling Sales instead of Sails earlier hardly qualifies)

https://archive.is/0j4wN