Hudson Bay Office in Ardrossan.

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
frank brand
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Hudson Bay Office in Ardrossan.

Post by frank brand »

Threetowners here`s one for you.

Where was the office of The Hudson Bay Company located in Ardrossan. I believe they were in the town up to the late 50`s?

Frank Brand.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hudson Bay Office in Ardrossan.

Post by Hughie »

Hi Frank, I'm guessing their office would have been very close to H M Customs offices, but I can't recall it.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

I think it was where the new Doctor's is I have a choice of 2 location either towards the pier ,where I think there was a dry dock a bit to the rear of the Doctor's car park ( a cream coloured building ) or in one of the still remaining buildings across the at the Asda Car park
try these grid references NS22524215
NS 22739 42402 E: 222739 N: 642402
harrysteell
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by harrysteell »

I cant say either but I know Ardrossan Dock built a lot of ships for them. wooden ships after launch and fit out they made there way up the Hudson river to Canada and all over British Columbia. my uncle Lewis fullarton Steel was a cabinet maker as all cabins had to be hand made by a craftsman to fit around the cabins they were never ready made all hand crafted by professional cabinet makers.
frank brand
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by frank brand »

Hughie,

I have received a reply from the Hudson Bay Archivist in Manitoba, Canada. Who informed me their Ardrossan office was in Montgomery Street, next door to The Dockers Club. The office was managed on their behalf by Duffs Shipping Brokers. They also sent me a photocopy of the Captain`s log, Captain Cornwell of the Baychimo and a list of all crew members from Ardrossan who sailed on that eventful voyage.
What surprised me most was the number of men who lived in Winton Street. One member of the crew came from Harrow, England.It also quotes their rates of pay and next of kin.Also sent were copies of Ardrossan Dockyard contracts for authorised repairs to the Baychimo and her sister ships Bayeskimoand Bayrupert. A map of the routes that these ships sailed to the various Hudson Bay outposts i the Artic circle was included. Absolutely Fascinating.
Frank.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Brilliant stuff, Frank. So, is this private research you are doing on the Baychimo? I remember the Docker's Club in Montgomery Street in the 1960s.
frank brand
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by frank brand »

Hughie,
Thanks for your email reply. You are correct this is my own research on Baychimo. It may sound unbelievable but I knew nothing about the Baychimo untilla few years back I went and saw my old Scoutmaster Bobby McSherry,
One of the loveliest persons I have ever met. Whilst visiting him we got chatting about the old town of our childhood and later years.He mentioned Archie Murchie who my father knew quite well. He then told me about the ship. I was so intrigued I began to research into it. What a fascinating story.

An American author wrote a book on the ship Alan Dalton entitled The Baychimo, Ghost Ship of The Artic. I contacted him and told him from where I came. He sent muchof his research material, which is again is fascinating. I Lochranza on Arran there is now a statue to Finlay Murchie, who lived in Seton Street, who also sailed on the eventful voyage,

To be honest I don`t think there are many residents of the town know anything about this ship as with HMS Dasher.

Regards,
Frank.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

frank brand wrote:Hughie,

In Lochranza on Arran there is now a statue to Finlay Murchie, who lived in Seton Street, who also sailed on the eventful voyage,,
Frank.
Frank - Finlay Murchie and my dad were good pals - he was one of the most entertaining people you could meet, and a real dare devil.
mcgrattan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by mcgrattan »

Dockers Club, Montgomerie Street. early 1970's.

Tom McGrattan
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Hughie wrote:Brilliant stuff, Frank. So, is this private research you are doing on the Baychimo? I remember the Docker's Club in Montgomery Street in the 1960s.
Thanks, Frank regarding the "Baychimo"- I have been reading about this ship and other ghost ships today.
So interesting :D
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Although I don't know much about the Hudson Bay Office in Ardrossan, or even the Baychimo, I can at least confirm that the surname 'Murchie' is one I remember very well from my time working in Brodick in the mid seventies.
There's also a few local business's on Arran with the Murchie name attached to them these days.
I'd imagine that many of these folk are relatives or descendants of Finlay Murchie.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

frank brand wrote:To be honest I don`t think there are many residents of the town know anything about this ship as with HMS Dasher.
You're right, Frank. As well as an account of the Baychimo incident in the pictorial book "Old Ardrossan". Joan Biggart wrote an article for The Scots Magazine. I've published it here on threetowners See:
Ardrossan - The Bunker Port

In Part:
And what of the Baychomo? She was sighted many times from 1932 until 1969 roaming over 100 square miles of Arctic seas, and became known to the Eskimos as the "umiak", their word for great ship and also as "the phantom of the Arctic". A wonderful advertisement for Ardrossan shipbuilding, some people thought, as she seemed indestructible. But alas, unlike so many vessels of the Hudson's Bay line, including the Baychimo and Bayrupert, Baychimo was not built at Ardrossan.