State of The three towns

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: State of The three towns

Post by morag »

Not to point blame, but since the 'Glasgow overspill' we've had problems, no real street gangs before that, nothing you'd take seriously anyway. Of course we always had a wee bit vandalism, but. I must say when I, too rarely, get back I just enjoy being there. To walk up the coast or up the moors...magic. My mum always shopped the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker, well, mibbe not the last guy.. but we got fish from the fishmonger, greens from the greengrocer etc. and she was picky. She only used supermarkets for canned / packaged goods. And then...the view of Arran...
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Its too complex to apportion blame on one change. The laws protect the idiots. In fact in Scotland there talking about raising the age of criminal responsibility. There is a culture of who gives a f--- and it is permeating the whole of our society not just the three towns.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

We're back to telling each other about what's wrong and who is to blame :cry:
We were talking about what was needed to turn the place round. :D

JD
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

John have you ever heard of the riot act?
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

No Bill. Enlighten me.

JD.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Jings .. another Threetowns bashing thread. And surprise surprise, most of the criticism is coming from the exiles.
In all honesty, I doubt very much if the folk here give a toss what people who lived here decades ago think about the place now.
We'll happily embrace your memories of course, but please don't try to lecture us on what's wrong in our locality when you only visit it once in a blue moon.

I'm firmly in the SC. and Aland camp here. This area isn't the worst and things are definitely getting better.
Last edited by michaelm on Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Oh dear.
Michael, in this thread, as in quite a few in the past, I've been going out of my way to express a desire to see the old home towns become a nicer place. On not a single occasion have I bashed our home. On the contrary, I have expressed and maintained my love and respect for the place at all times. Any criticism on my part has always been constructive.
If you take the trouble to go back through this thread, you will find that it has been the locals who are being negative, not the exiles.
Every time some one tries to start some kind of sensible, rational discussion on here, it always seems to end up in an argument with people falling out with each other.
I've been on the forum now for a long time - with enormous pleasure. For some time now, there has been a dark side creeping in. If this doesn't cease, I am on the point of quitting the forum, as are several other sensible contributors with whom I've been in PM contact. It's getting to the stage that choices are going to have to be made; the sensible posters or the negative elements.
Make up your mind. This is no longer the fun, friendly forum I joined years ago. Look at the list of names we don't see any more. Why do you think that is?

A very angry JD.

Sorry folks. As usual, I'm the one that chooses the confrontation, but it's high time it was faced up to.
I've been sitting here for nearly half an hour wondering whether I will hit the submit button. If you're reading this you'll know I did it against what is probably my better judgement.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

John Donnelly wrote:On not a single occasion have I bashed our home. On the contrary, I have expressed and maintained my love and respect for the place at all times. Any criticism on my part has always been constructive.
Bollocks JD. on at least a couple of occasions you've called it a "Dump" and there's nothing respectful about that.
John Donnelly wrote:If you take the trouble to go back through this thread, you will find that it has been the locals who are being negative, not the exiles.
Every time some one tries to start some kind of sensible, rational discussion on here, it always seems to end up in an argument with people falling out with each other.
I have to disagree. I think the negativity actually started with the topics title and continued thereafter with mostly ex-pats criticising the threetowns area.
And to the best of my knowledge, I haven't fallen out with anyone on here, at least in the recent past anyway :)
John Donnelly wrote:I've been on the forum now for a long time - with enormous pleasure. For some time now, there has been a dark side creeping in. If this doesn't cease, I am on the point of quitting the forum, as are several other sensible contributors with whom I've been in PM contact. It's getting to the stage that choices are going to have to be made; the sensible posters or the negative elements.
What is the 'Dark Side' you're referring to JD.?
And what is a "sensible" contributor? Is it simply someone who always agrees with you and toes the party line? That's what you seem to be implying here!
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Have to say, the down stuff canny beat the good stuff. It's not to do with where you live now. We are where we are by lives plans. Whenever I get back, not often enough, I feel alive again. Sure there are problems, where doesn't? But because we no longer live there does not stop us caring...or why would oor Hughie have started this site?
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

I don't like all this sniping at the mo either JD but different people see things different ways.

I wish another discussion would come up on something from some time back again.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

michaelm wrote:
John Donnelly wrote:Bollocks JD. on at least a couple of occasions you've called it a "Dump" and there's nothing respectful about that.
Michael,
I will admit to using that emotive word. :( Sorry.
However, when we expats come back and make comments, we are holding up a mirror which the stay-at-homers have lost the ability to look into; (or are terrified to).
While it is clear that the 3T's are badly run down, what we were talking about in this thread was the attitudes of the downtrodden inhabitants who are responsible for the continuing decline. The point that was being made was that the other decent law-abiding folk, were being encouraged to be more active in getting the place back on its feet.
There's a big difference between constructive and destructive criticism. What you're getting on here are comments which are meant to help.
I'd be the first to admit that, if I were still at home, I - sure as fate - would be sitting on my backside watching it all too.

A couple of thoughts; both thanks to American employers :(

If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
There are people who make things happen. There are people who see things happening. And there are people who wonder what the hell just happened.

At some point, it will go badly wrong. All the signs are there. Are we just going to wait on the apocalypse?

JD.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

John stop digging a hole for yourself . You mention decent law abiding folk doing something about the state of the place and then say if you were still living here you too would be sitting on your backside. John have you ever visited a nudist beach well we have one in Stevenston and can I tell you there is nothing worse to look at than an old man's bottom.
Last edited by 5siamese7 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.