Harvies Park

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Harvies Park

Post by bobnetau »

Penny Tray wrote:Bobnetau,

You're thinking of Caledonia Road, Saltcoats - Caledonia Road, Ardrossan, is opposite the bottom of the Dalry Road.
PT, I have been gone for over 50 years but I did live next to the Toll so should have remembered that. Thanks for jogging the old grey matter.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Don't worry about it Netta, I asked my wife last week if she'd seen my sun glasses anywhere, and she said, "Yes, you've got them on." :oops: There are a small group of us on this site, who, if younger members want to know anything about the Threetowns circa the 50s and 60s, they had better ask us quick :lol: .
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Penny Tray wrote:Don't worry about it Netta, I asked my wife last week if she'd seen my sun glasses anywhere, and she said, "Yes, you've got them on." :oops: There are a small group of us on this site, who, if younger members want to know anything about the Threetowns circa the 50s and 60s, they had better ask us quick :lol: .
Oh dear...too close to the bone. I'm way too familiar wi' that. I never swore in all my years but now ffs is on the tip of ma tongue. Oh, wait. Did I post this already?? :lol:
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Does Harvies park have anything to do with Auchenharvie? Forgive me if I missed past posts.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

morag wrote:Does Harvies park have anything to do with Auchenharvie? Forgive me if I missed past posts.
Don't ask me, Morag. I didn't even know the road across from where I lived
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Morag,

Absolutely nothing :roll: !
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

meekan wrote:George Ardrossan will confirm this but I think that the football park shown on the map is the junior team Adrossan Celtic or Ardrossan Rovers park?
George help me out here please
Meekan

North Crescent Park, sometimes referred to as Celtic Park, was the home ground of Ardrossan Celtic who existed from 1901 to about 1913. The Park's location is shown below on a more modern map.

Ardrossan Celtic, who were very competitive rivals to Winton Rovers, existed from 1901 to about 1913. The team photo below was taken on 20 April 1901. Players of that era included Aitken, J Donnelly, A Gillies, J Hunter, McCulloch, A McIntyre, D McKiernon, McKillop, A McKinnon, Thomas McLaughlan, McLaughlin, Robert Pettigrew who was one of four young men drowned of Ardrossan Harbour on 9 June 1901, H Reid, W Tait, J Taylor, Tyre and J Welsh who was the goalkeeper. Incidentally, in the early years of North Ayrshire junior football, the goalie wore the same strip as the outfield players which caused confusion at times.

The picture below is of an Ardrossan Celtic Member's Ticket from season 1910-11. I think it may be the equivalent of a modern season ticket that gave admission to matches. Not everyone who watched Ardrossan Celtic paid to get in as the bridge that later became known as the Shell Bridge provide a great vantage point.

I hope this helps.

George
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

George
My grandfather George Cook played for Ardrossan Celtic. He was their goalkeeper at one time.
He was the son of Robert Cook who found the sarcophegus on Castle Hill.

Robert