Shell Fireless Loco Back In Action

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Chico1968
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Shell Fireless Loco Back In Action

Post by Chico1968 »

After a lengthy restoration,the Barclay fireless engine from the Ardrossan Shell Refinery is now back to working order at the SRPS in Dalmellington.Image (c)CorrieBob
[url=https://flic.kr/p/vkihpb][img]http ... .jpg[/img]Barclay Fireless, ex Shell Refinery Ardrossan. by corriebob, on Flickr[/url]
aland
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Shell Fireless Loco Back In Action

Post by aland »

she is looking well, long overhaul as almost everything was worn out. The only working fireless loco in the UK. There is quite a few preserved but all bar this one are static
call me alan or al, labels are for tins of beans or soup not people. We are all Jock Tamson's bairns
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

I see steam coming from the wee engine, I would imagine that's what drives it. but can anyone tell me how a fireless engine makes steam?????
mcgrattan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by mcgrattan »

George

A fireless steam locomotive is similar to a conventional steam locomotive, but has a reservoir, known as a steam accumulator, instead of a boiler. This reservoir is partly filled with water and charged with steam from a stationary boiler. The locomotive can then work on the stored steam until the pressure has dropped to a minimum level, after which it must be recharged.

They were used at refineries and collieries as open fires were dangerous in these environments.

Tom McGrattan
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

Thanks for that Tom, I never knew that, very cleaver. Just proves it's never to late to learn.
all the best
George F