Windows 10

Computer questions and any issues you have with these forums.
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Windows 10

Post by Jim McCreadie »

G'day chriso
No, no contact from MS. Am purchasing a new laptop (my HP is about 5 years old) tomorrow with W8 installed and don't know how much I will like that. I'm used to W7 now which is very stable.

With regard to W8 and W10, am wondering how good their reverse compatibility is. Any indication on your PC?

Jim
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

I am only finding my way about just now, it will probably take me weeks to find all the in's and out's if ever.
Idiot - seeks village.
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

LOL - okay Tks mate.

Jim
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

My HP tabletop about 2 yrs old Windows 8.1 ,now Windows 10.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

How are you folks going on Windows 10? Let's hear your experience.

My main computer is on Windows 8.1 but my wee throw-away travel laptop is on W10 which was upgraded from W7. I'm feeling my way around it - early days yet, because during our last holiday I had little chance to use it. But from what I see it's looking good.

My main computer will be upgraded before the free download ends. :roll:
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

I,m getting on fine with what I use it for . :D

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Have read it's very 'tell everyone your stuff' bad any truth?
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Well what was slowing down my computer was Window 10 wanting to add security stuff. Think they tried 5 times in all. My own security wouldn't let them. :lol:

SC
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

Finally got my new laptop with Windows 8.1 which I am finding my way around. At the moment, I don't wish to upgrade to Windows 10 but will do so before July next. I have yet to install my favourite Tools, e.g. Driver Detective, Malwarebytes Pro, Revolution UnInstaller, CPU-Z, etc.

Question: Has any subscriber experienced problems with software which operated correctly on an earlier version of Windows (e.g. Windows 7) but not following installation of Windows 10?
Q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'30"E

"What language are you talking in now? It appears to be Bo**ocks."
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Since upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1, I've had no problems apart from one wee annoyance.

Microsoft Edge doesn't seem to have a 'Copy' and 'Paste' drop down menu, so whenever I use it for that purpose I have to use the keyboard shortcuts .. Ctrl and C to Copy, and Ctrl and V to Paste.
Microsoft should surely have realised that most folk these days prefer on screen menus as opposed to having to use their keyboard to perform common everyday actions. Their previous browser I/Explorer, had a simple drop down edit menu that no-one to the best of my knowledge ever complained about.
Change just for the sake of change? Not a good idea Microsoft.

At the moment I'm using Google Chrome as my default browser - and lo and behold - it has a drop down menu for copying and pasting.

Re. your question Jim McCreadie.
I'm no expert here, but personally speaking I haven't encountered any issues with my own software programmes since I upgraded to 10.
I think you're doing the right thing by holding off a wee bit before upgrading though, as it might give both Microsoft and also some of the bigger software companies a bit of time to iron out any compatibility issues.

Obviously it would also make sense to have the latest version of any software that you're using before upgrading. :)
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

Thanks michaelm for your insight. I too believe it's best to wait until most of the wee bug(***)s are ironed out of W10 before upgrading. Aye, I've got to download the latest versions of my Utilities but the 64-bit versions as I've moved up in the 1's and 0's world !
:D

Thanks again mate!
Q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'30"E

"What language are you talking in now? It appears to be Bo**ocks."