Burial versus cremation

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Burial versus cremation

Post by morag »

I've noticed in the obits, many go to Holmsford bridge crematorium. Are all these cremations or do they serve as a regular funeral parlour too? Cremation was seldom heard of when I lived in Stinston.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Burial versus cremation

Post by Meg »

They are all cremations Morag. Guess in days gone by, cremations were not as popular - its been a while since you lived in Stinson :)
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Burial versus cremation

Post by morag »

Yes, Meg. Recently my (too)young cousin was cremated,and, as my big sis remarked, a first in our family.
C.S.Lewis
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Burial versus cremation

Post by morag »

And I know it's foolish, but it still gives me the willies (so to speak), I'd rather be dumped at sea or left in the forest.
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Burial versus cremation

Post by Meg »

I've attended a wheen of cremations, Catholic, CofS, CofE, and Humanist and have to say its a lot less scary than a burial and a lot better for the environment.

Meg
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Burial versus cremation

Post by morag »

Don't know, Meg, I'd think internment would, eventually, breakdown into nutrients. I've told my kids, big cardboard box, big hole in the backdoor.
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Burial versus cremation

Post by Meg »

Would that be allowed? We are restricted where and how you can be buried - and remember ashes do nourish the ground! Imagine the turmoil of buying a house with someone buried under the tree - bad enough when the skeleton of the pet hamster is unearthed! Funnily enough, the basket casket costs more than the wooden equivalent.
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Burial versus cremation

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

Crematoriums produce toxic chemicals like mercury vapour. Its legal in Scotland to get buried in your garden as long as your down 6 feet. Expect this would impact on the value of the house.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

A good friend, Buddhist, her sister, twin maybe, died very young. My friend could not witness. The privacy curtain came down and she had to leave. But, the family bought an expensive coffin, the dead girl was sent to the cremation in a cheap box. No doubt the expensive coffin was resold. Is it always about the money?
C.S.Lewis
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Interesting debate M+M as morbid as it is ...

To quote the lyrics of famous song, nothing really matters, nothing really matters to me ,any way the wind blows.

Not so keen on a sky burial, will not explain for obvious reasons, will leave that to the bird admirers(feathered) :|
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Meg, no, I don't think it'd be allowed, or there would be so many hoops to jump through I'd be dust already! We've often (kind of) joked about if we sell this house and the new owners rorotill the back yard they'll be convinced we were devil worshippers, all the beloved pets that are buried there,( and other wee dead beasties) ..'They seemed such a normal family..".
C.S.Lewis
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Nothing is more in tune with the sentiments of the day than an damp,overcast day with a touch of drizzle at a burial,
Costs,that might be the defining issue, a burial costs a lot more , I'm just pointing that out
If you go to the cemetery in New Street, in it they have run a path it is over some of the plots,that cemetery is not used very often now but some folk have still the "title deeds" for plots or "lairs"

Incidently a Horse Drawn Hearse and "cars" was used in Saltcoats last week

Re the Buddhist , they probably were fulfilling the Buddhist's wishes which are I believe along the lines of "the spirit has no longer any use of the vessel" and the expensive coffin is wasteful