Are Children Growing Taller

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Are Children Growing Taller

Post by brian f »

Cant work this out, am 5"10 misses 5"4 and my 2 teenage boy's are already 6 feet plus.

Always bought my Milk from the shop when i purchased the Paper :think:
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Are Children Growing Taller

Post by bobnetau »

Yes, Brian. Our son towers over Bob and I and our 14 year old grand-daughter is so happy she is now taller than Gran who is 5ft5ins. They love to pat me on the head now. Must be all the good food they eat nowadays!
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Ours too are stretching. Our thirteen year old grand daughter is about to overtake me. :shock: I use these detachable sticks to record their measurements yearly - they can have them as keepsakes for their own children when the time comes. The sticks are 6ft - might have to add to it when the grandson grows up. :wink:

John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Hughie, what an absolutely brilliant idea. Was it original, or have you got it from somewhere else?

I'd never heard of anything like that. For us, it was just a pencil line on the doorpost.

JD.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

I agree JD, cracking idea Hughie. Most children grow taller than their parents (of the same sex), however, my mum was a good inch taller than me, and I'm not small :-)

Meg
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Wish I had thought I'd something like that Hughie. People with children living in rental accommodation who have to keep moving around would find that idea wonderful.
As for children getting taller. We are getting shorter as we age I guess our kids seem to be towering over us I know mine are. I was told years ago that depending from which town you came from there,was a lot of inbreeding (families who have lived in the same area eventually marrying people who could be related to them) making people shorter and now with multiculturalism our children marrying outside the gene pool. Don 't know if its rectifying the old problem or are we going to have nations of titans!!
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

You should come to NL, if you want to see tall children. Admittedly, she's only my step-daughter, but Hannah was taller than me when she was 11. Mind you, being taller than me is not really difficult.

Seriously, the Dútch are among the tallest people in the world, and believe you me, they're getting taller.

I wonder why they're so tall. Up till very recently, Holland was a very agricultural, rural community. They have always eaten lots of fish and dairy produce'.

JD.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Three words JD - Old Amsterdam Cheese! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Meg
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

John Donnelly wrote:Was it original, or have you got it from somewhere else?
Never thought of it as being original, John. The idea came about because the other side of the garage has a plasterboard finish and marking their heights with a pencil on it wasn't very nice. :roll:
len
Settling In
Settling In

Post by len »

One theory that may make a bit of sense is the addition of growth hormones to meat products and crops over the past few decades. They didn'have these when most of us were young. They enter the food chain and hids grow taller. I don't have any scientific knowkledgeabout this however.
Len