Glen Massan

Show the photographs you've taken in this album.
Forum rules
Here you can show the photographs you've taken. Use a storage agent such as https://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Glen Massan

Post by michaelm »

On a trip to Arran in August 2010 this little boat caught my eye. Anchored in Brodick bay, she looked from distance just like a small fishing trawler.
But after a wee online search, I discovered that although it had indeed been a fishing boat in a past life, it was now a cruise vessel owned by a company named 'The Majestic Line'. They operate two vessels, this one and another named 'Glen Tarsan', which both cruise the western Isles. To date, I think they're still going strong.

The Majestic Line was initially a fictional shipping co. mentioned in 'The Vital Spark' tv series.

John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Glen Massan

Post by John Donnelly »

It's a lovely wee boat right enough, but it pales into insignificance against the backdrops.

JD.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

And proudly flying the Saltire. Lovely photos.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Yes Morag, it was definitely 'proudly' flying the Saltire. :)

And here's another couple of pics from the day, which maybe help to illustrate the point JD. makes. :)

Last edited by michaelm on Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Beautiful photos. The boats do pale as JD says into insignificance of the scenery. But the land is soooo green. :)
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Thanks margb. :)

A cruise on either of the two vessels doesn't come cheap. Three nights aboard for instance, and you won't get any change out of a 'Grand' in pounds sterling. So like most folk, I'll need to win the lottery first!
They're based in Oban and are a very reputable firm, having won awards from the Scottish Tourism Industry, as well as being highly commended in various newspaper articles, so they must be doing something right.

It's a different kind of cruise experience to what many folk are accustomed to as both vessels are very small, only being 80 feet or so in length, and can only accommodate up to 12 passengers each, along with 4 crew members. I remember these type of holidays becoming a bit more popular in the mid 90's, especially cruises round about the Greek Islands etc. A Greek Isle though, can never compare to a Scottish one.

This is another photo taken on the day, which hopefully won't be deemed too much off topic - as it doesn't actually include the topic subject.
It's looking across the bay towards the Glen Rosa area, with one or two of Arrans famous peaks in the background.

Upper left is 'Ben Nuis' and along to the right, the highest peak on view is 'Ben Tarsuinn'
ebbe_skovdahl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ebbe_skovdahl »

Great pics Mick, I love boats but anything smaller than the Arran ferry and it's a no no for me. The swell of the sea and a rocking boat is the stuff of bad dreams for me. :shock:

We went on a cruise in 2013 and on the first night the wind was storm force 9 and over 50mph for hours but it never felt too rough.

Having never seen a large ship before I was shocked when I seen how large some cruise ships are. Hard to believe some of them can stay afloat.

This is a pic I took from the helipad at the front of the ship we were on.

meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Yes Ebbe,
they are massive like a floating city tower block, and in the theatre for example it is hard to realise you are inside a ship.
What ship were you on?
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I don't like these huge (money pit ) ships.
:(
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
ebbe_skovdahl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ebbe_skovdahl »

meekan wrote:Yes Ebbe,
they are massive like a floating city tower block, and in the theatre for example it is hard to realise you are inside a ship.
What ship were you on?
It was Liberty of the Seas.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

ebbe_skovdahl wrote:It was Liberty of the Seas.
That's a huge ship Steve, I had a look at some pics etc online ... as Meekan said, like a floating tower block.

I think wee 'Glen Massan' would fit comfortably inside that helipad. :)