superfast searching for files on your computer

Computer questions and any issues you have with these forums.
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

superfast searching for files on your computer

Post by ardrossanrentboy »

I spent loads of unproductive time waiting for slow searches of files of pictures, songs and documents with Windows 7 and Google desktop search facilities, until I stumbled upon Search Everything from VoidTools http://www.voidtools.com/. Once you've downloaded it and installed it, it creates its own database of everything on your computer and when you Enter your search term in the box it has usually found the files before you hit the Enter key. Amazing timesaver this FREE tool - I recommend it.
Every now and again I check my system looking for anything out of place and I came across a reference to TeamViewer which is a program you use to access other computers on the internet supposedly so you can assist them to sort problems or even to get help for your own computer problems. Fine if you have that need. However, I've never knowingly downloaded that prog and it doesn't show anywhere else on my pc and especially not in the List of programs that you can Remove or Uninstall from the Control Panel or on my List of Programs. So I entered it into SearchEverything and found 7 files and folders and Registry entries hidden on my PC. I checked the Internet by Googling 'Teamviewer uninstall / problems' and found that it has been used extensively as a means of secretly controlling and accessing your computer without your knowledge or permission and it is a devil to delete. There are many recommended methods of Uninstalling on the 'net but some of them didn't work and some of them are dodgy. I used 'Search Everything' again and deleted the files individually from the Right-Click menu then emptied the Recycle Bin. So far so good. Just a friendly warning to you guys - you can't be too careful, especially if you do online banking or payable transactions like ebay or amazon or paypal because Teamviewer transmits everything you do.