unwanted toolbars

Computer questions and any issues you have with these forums.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: unwanted toolbars

Post by brian f »

chriso wrote:Yes, I've given up. Only a full reinstal of windows will work for sure.It still annoy's me , but I can live with it.
Why dont you try installing it to see if you can get rid of it, then you can tell me how to do it. (Just kidding)

no i better not chris
Stivis might be able to guide you :wink:
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Utilities? System Mechanic or Advanced SystemCare something like that

Advanced SystemCare 6.4 is a free one, but there are others.
As the toolbar is what is known "malware" something like IObit Malware Fighter could remove it
again that a freebie.
others are Avast Anti virus, Spybot Search and Destroy and loads more they are free but accept donations
of the above they are the ones I use and are fine, where to get them Filehippo, Major Geeks or http://en.softonic.com/

If you use the download type site like Filehippo,and you see something you fancy, google it and check it out , and you go ahead don't download any extra bits and pieces, trial stuff has limited access or a time limit generally I wouldn't bother with it.

Back to straight removal

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-ask ... nd-search/

or this seems better and easier to follow

http://www.ghacks.net/2011/03/04/ask-to ... uninstall/
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

Ask does not appear anywhere on my computer exept as a toolbar. It is not in the add or remove programmes , or add ons or extensions, ifact it is so well hidden that it is impossible to find any reference to it anywhere on my computer. It can be removed but some of the ways require computer savy people to understand it. Unfortunately I am not one of them.
Idiot - seeks village.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Have you just tried "search"?
Go to start and then search. that'll tell you where it is, don't delete it ,it just to find out where it is

Yes it will be hidden as really it's malware,and designed to be hidden.Please don't see that as me being rude or cheeky that's not the case, the standard removal (uninstall ) leaves behind traces of the program in the system, If you use a specific uninstall program then it lifts the complete program from the system
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

That was one of the first things I did when I couldn't find it in the obvious places.
I don't think that you are rude for one minute, in fact, just the opposite.
The thing is, I am loathe to dowload any of the very many programmes which claim to get rid of it unless I know for certain that it would work. I could end up in an even worse situation as they could contain trojans or virus' s.
Idiot - seeks village.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Might be worth taking it to a local computer repair shop and seeing what they think, Chris. You might have picked up more than just the ASK toolbar. Had my old XP cleaned out the other week and it's purring along great guns now.
Witterquick
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Witterquick »

If you want I can remove it for you for free, just drop me a pm with a time that's good for you and i'll get in touch. I can probably do it remotely too using a free bit of software called ammyy
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Have a look at the one below,it's reputable
Left side of the page the one without support and free

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

O.K. got rid of Ask as it is apparently malware, now I don't have a back button or search bar.. :(

Don't remember ever downloading Ask, but use firefox and I guess it can't use Google, so don't know if Yahoo and Ask are connected?
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

morag wrote:O.K. got rid of Ask as it is apparently malware, now I don't have a back button or search bar.. :(

Don't remember ever downloading Ask, but use firefox and I guess it can't use Google, so don't know if Yahoo and Ask are connected?
My goad didny know you had the bug as well Morag :lol:
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

You probably didn't know you downloaded it,
back button..........up to view and to toolbars and then if you don't have the required , tick the required or go to customise, then you can add what you want from the customise toolbar box
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

No view ...I've tried to go back and reload to a prior time, but no luck so far.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis