Just Joined? Please Introduce Yourself

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.

Where in the world do we live?

Three towns
30%
Elsewhere in Scotland
21%
England
16%
Other UK
2%
Europe other than UK
2%
Australia
12%
Canada
6%
New Zealand
2%
USA
6%
Others
3%

Total votes: 438

Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Just Joined? Please Introduce Yourself

Post by Meg »

A warm welcome to the 3ts John. Looking forward to the rest of your family’s story.

Meg
Granny B
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Granny B »

Hi I have been a great fan of this site for years and recently followed Glasgow street dauner. I was only about 7/8/before moving from the “pen” in Barr Place to Stanley Road but have great memories of that area as my grandparents Bobby and Liza McNamara lived through the close to the corner of Montgomerie Street. The McNamaras originally from Portaferry were ancestors of many an ardrossan family so I hope I’ll hear a few stories
My name is Betty Love daughter of Sheila McNamara
Granny B
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Granny B »

My cousins who lived at the other end of Barr place were Bobby Patricia and Brian Mcguire Bobby emigrated to Australia late 60s and Brian to Canada
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

A warm welcome to the 3ts Betty - I’m sure you’ll get answers from 3t residents of that area. Looking forward to reading their responses.

Meg
Paul243
New Poster
New Poster

Paul Coffey, Saltcoats

Post by Paul243 »

My Name is Paul, I am with SAS Branch Royal British Legion Scotland. After some investigation we have found the Local Saltcoats, Ardrossan and Stevenston Branch is 100 years old on 10th April 2024. The article from the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald 11 April 1924 is replicated below.

Over the 100 Years there have been many changes to legions clubs and Branches, more have emerged many have disappeared, membership has increased and decreased but this and the evidence of Lady Haigs visit in 1929 shows the formation of a Branch encompassing Ardrossan, Saltcoats and Stevenston.

We will be looking to celebrate this important milestone for both the Legion and the community

Transcript of article in A&S Herald April 1924, at the time this was a weekly (Friday’s) edition.
Saltcoats & Ardrossan Herald, Friday, April 11, 1924
THE BRITISH LEGION.
BRANCH FORMED FOR ARDROSSAN, SALTCOATS AND STEVENSTON
THE OBJECTS EXPLAINED
A meeting, under the auspices of the recently formed branch of the British Legion was held in Castlecraigs, Ardrossan, on Thursday evening of last week. Captain James Robb, R.S.F. presided, and there was an encouraging attendance of those interested in the movement.
The principle speaker was Mr Knott, chairman of the Girvan Branch of the British Legion, and prior to the commencement of the business proper, Captain Robb asked Mr Knott to decorate Col-Sergt. (Colour Sergeant?) Hughes, Ardrossan, with the first badge of the Legion. Col-Sergt. Hughes joined up in 1855, and is consequently the oldest member of the newly-formed Ardrossan branch and the first to wear the badge in the district. Mr Knott said the Col-Sergt Hughes had worn the badge of three British Sovereigns, and he was pleased to see him at their meeting and looking so well.
Col-Sergt Hughes briefly returned thanks.
Mr Knott then explained, in the course of a lengthy and interesting address the objects of the Legion. He said they had first to find a reason as to why they had an organisation of this nature.
A great difficulty arose in 1914, and they “joined up” and went out to try and relieve our national needs. Then they came back from the war, and from that time up till now the ex-Servicemen had allowed themselves to be “talked out” of their position. He thought that everyone was convinced that this country tried her hardest to keep out of the war. Nevertheless, he believed that those who joined up with the Forces went out to do a great national service for their country. While he admitted that the man who stayed at home also rendered valuable service to the country, there was a vast difference in his conditions, from those of the men who joined up. Mr Knott then instanced the success which had attended railwayman’s organisations because they had worked together. Then there was the Eighty Club, which provided a means of celebrating a political victory; and not long ago a number of M.P.’s, who would not fight but went to prison instead had a dinner to celebrate that episode. If it was right for these people to do that, it was only natural that ex-Servicemen should desire some sort of organisation or club where they could meet in a social capacity and “swop yarns.” At de-mobilization the Government then in power promised to do a lot for the men who were, or had been on service, but he found that no matter how anxious individual members of Parliament were to help them, there was always something in the way, and they found that the only way to get anything done was to help themselves.
The British Legion was an Association of ex-Servicemen, and the principal work lay with the Branches. There was the social side of the work. This could be developed by the means of Club-rooms. He was sorry to see, however, that some branches had gone in for licensed clubs.
There was also the benevolent side of the work. Mr Knott then dealt with the cases that had been dealt with in Girvan. They had dealt with twelve cases this year-all decent people, and had been able to help them financially.
Then there was the question of pensions. There were some genuine cases of hardship regarding pensions. While they were not out to bleed the public, they were out to see that every case was fairly dealt with. Then they must bear in mind that the Legion was the greatest pacifist organisation in the world. It extended throughout the entire British Empire, and was clearly linked with the American Legion.
If the Legion got together and said there was to be no more war, it would look as if someone else would have to do the fighting. That would do more good than all the frothy speeches at election times.
They, in the British Legion were pacifists because they knew from personal experiences of the utter futility of war. Even supposing some of the men who were in dire straits to-day and went about begging, were bad, they could count it unto them for righteousness that they served with us in the war.
The British Legion was a voluntary organisation. They were all voluntary workers in it; no one was getting paid.
Office-bearers and committee were then elected, and a discussion took place as to the best methods of carrying on the work. It was agreed ultimately that the Branch embrace the towns of Ardrossan, Saltcoats and Stevenston, and to hold meetings in the two last mentioned places in the near future. In answer to questions Captain Robb said it was intended that if they ever got club-rooms, these would be situated in Saltcoats as this was the more central position. Mr Knott explained that they could have an emergency benevolent fund. As chairman of the Girvan branch he had authority to give grants up to 10s to deserving cases. If more than that was required a few office-bearers got together and discussed matters, , but they had always power to give immediate grants in cases of emergency.
It was agreed to appoint Mr John Hunter, Ardrossan Road, to the Sub-Committee for Saltcoats with the power to co-opt others and arrange for the next meetings to be held there.
Major A. R. Crawford, R. S. F., made a few remarks, and counselled the members to work together and not criticise too much in order to make this Branch a flourishing one.
A vote of thanks to the chairman closed the proceedings.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Transcribed as accurate as possible by Paul Coffey, Saltcoats, Ardrossan and Stevenston, Branch Royal British Legion Scotland, 9 Feb 2024. Grateful thanks to Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald and NAC Archives.
Davy Haggart
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Davy Haggart »

:hi: just joined was born bread ardrossan
Lived princess st as a boy also lived next door to the old orange lodge .post office vans used to be garaged at end of my street . Also was an laundrett.in same street.moved to kirkhall drive number 15 .then dalry road until i was 16.joined royal navy for a great adventure .i also went to winton primary until 1971.then ardrossan academy until 1975.i had a great upbringing
Spent most of my childhood watching boats in out of harbour at its height .
Davy Haggart
New Poster
New Poster

Re:

Post by Davy Haggart »

fengshooie wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:43 pm Hi all, I moved to Ardrossan in 1969,kirkhall drive, central avenue,winton street.Married, and moved to Saltcoats,top end electric scheme.
I still live here and work at Ayr on the railways.
I started on the railways at Ardrossan Harbour in 1979 then moved to Ayr.
wishing you all the best.
JenniMc
Settling In
Settling In

Post by JenniMc »

Hi,

I'm Jenni McAteer, from New Zealand and I'm trying to piece together my family tree. My Father is Christopher James McAteer born 11/12/1943 he was born in the 3ts. Married Patricia Gunning from Irvine in Feb 1965 and sailed for Australia the next day.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Jenni,

The following family intimation may or may not be of interest to you: -

GLASGOW HERALD
30 APRIL 1958

DEATH - McATEER

At 25 Churchill Drive, Ardrossan, on 25 April, 1958, Bridget McAteer - fortified by the rites of the Catholic Church. R.I.P.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
InstantCousins
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by InstantCousins »

My name is David Carver and I live in Glasgow. I have been researching my (English) and my wife's (Scottish) family histories for many years and have recently started an online blog to write about my research and to archive as much of our family's lives as possible.
I have registered with Threetowners because my wife's Great Grandparents and Grandparents lived most of their lives in Stevenston and Ardrossan respectively.
My particular interest at present is the Nicol family that settled in Stevenston. Peter and Elizabeth Nicol lived in Seaside Cottages and Lucknow Cottages from the end of the 1870's to the 1920's including a spell in Dynamite Road. They and their eight children were all associated with the Nobel Factory, either by work, training or marriage.
I shall be asking questions and seeking help from the Forum boards during the coming months and hope that other interested people can help me.
JenniMc
Settling In
Settling In

Post by JenniMc »

Hi Penny,

Thanks for this info, this woman is definitely part of my family tree but haven't been able to piece together that far back yet. I've have an Aunt that I always knew as Delia, but looking at the records on the Scotland's People data base it seems as though she was given the name Bridget Mary at birth in 1951. The Bridget that you found was 78 when she died at aged 1958 so likely born 1880. Can I ask how you got this info, as I didn't know you could get info from the Glasgow Herald that far back?

Thanks Jenni
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

Hi Jennie i married a Mcateer I'm from Ardrossan his name was Patrick James McAteer his father was Stephen he died during the war I personally never met his relatives just knew about them, saw Joseph McAteer regularly who was married to someone in our street Pat also had a sister Maureen who still resides in Ardrossan. I'm here in Oz sorry can't be more help too you regards Sarah