the bungalows esplanade cottages

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

the bungalows esplanade cottages

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

my son aquired this photo for me taken in 1963,it is only the second photo i have managed to get of the bungalows,the other being the coronation street party taken in blakely road (outside hughie's uncles house).
James Barr (Brvhrtjimmy)
Attachments
102_1145 copy.jpg
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: the bungalows esplanade cottages

Post by Penny Tray »

Great photo Jimmy.

Have I picked up through yourself and other Threetowners that anyone who came from that wonderful corner of Saltcoats referred to the houses as "the bungalows" whereas others, perhaps not surprisingly, called them "the cottages"?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

when you came in from canal street just where you see the start of the houses.from there on both sides right up to seabank street, they were called esplanade cottages, the houses after that were referred to as the bungalows,but basicly the whole scheme would be referred to as the bungalow
James Barr (Brvhrtjimmy)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Jimmy,
Great photo. Here's my take on it from around 1955. Just this side of that last cottage on the right there was a wee swing park and a shop. At that time, probably about three cottages down from there, lived my eldest brother and his new wife, Susan Crawford, who was fearless' youngest daughter - about where that steam is.

Just beyond the steam on the corner is where my uncle Willie McCallum lived - this was originally my grandparent's home. Willie worked for Duncan the coal man. Fearless lived at the far end of that last cottage - just beside the pedestrian bridge. I wrote about it here.
Jimmym
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Jimmym »

brvhrtjimmy wrote:my son aquired this photo for me taken in 1963,it is only the second photo i have managed to get of the bungalows,the other being the coronation street party taken in blakely road (outside hughie's uncles house).
James Barr (Brvhrtjimmy)

Hi James, Nancy spoke to my mum and told her to tell me to have a look at the photo you have added to the site and got to say thanks for showing it to us all brings back a lot of memories, i can see where i was brought up and when you see the houses, the names that come back to you god where have they all gone and i can see the roof off my old home i stayed across the road from Fearless at the bridge.

Thank's James
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Jimmy, I remember White's beach ponies grazing alongside that house you were to live in - that would have been in the late fifties. :roll:
Jimmym
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Jimmym »

Hi Hughie,I have heard off Whites ponies, but i love the photo how time goes by never thought i would ever see the bungalows again, thank's to Jimmy i can now look back and remember my times there in the summer time.
You would come home from school get changed and over the bridge and in to the slabs as we all called it i think in to the water.

Bestwishes Jimmy

P.S. how are you fine i hope
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

yes i remember jimmy whites ponies,jimmy white was my uncle,he had the horses and also the fruit cart,i always remember him tellin my dad that everytime the cart got left outside the house with all the fruit on it,it never ever got touched,he also done the briquettes in the winter an the herring as well,i stayed with them for a wee while when i was younger,thats when i went to the big house at auchenharvie after kyleshill got burned down,funny thing happened one summer i was only about 7 or 8 when i was helping with the ponies down the shore it was very busy a big fat lady put her wean on the pony i was holding handed me the thruppenny bit she held the wean i walked along an back again.still had the thruppenny bit in my hand no one asked for it so i stuk it in my pocket,later in my uncle james house when they were counting out all the money (thruppeny bits tanners pennies an halfpennies) when it was all counted up my uncle james said to my dat its thruppence short,my dad said well james i havnt got it my uncle james said nor hav i, i could feel my face getting redder an redder what about you james my uncle james said have you got it, so i put my hand in my pocket an put it on the table, they had a good laugh about it an my uncle james gave me a half crown for my toils, was quite clear they seen the woman give me the money an the age i was it never dawned on me they could never know it was short as they had no idea how many weans got pony rides that day or any other day .i will keep looking for photos of the bungalowes im sure more will turn up.
James Barr (Brvhrtjimmy)
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

i showed a copy of this photo to the chap whom i knew stayed in the very first house in the right as you look, he was able to tell me the little shop was owned by a chap who stayed in esplanade cottages (he named him but i wont) and also the 2 cars at the front on the left of the photo belonged to his brother thats where he always parked them,he was delighted to see the photo said it brought back great memories for him.
James Barr (Brvhrtjimmy)
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

Ma memory is bad but was the rubbish coup situated just between the cottages and the Caley railway back in 1955? To memory what we called the Bungalows were up near the High Road by the bauxite mine. Ah mind playing on the swings at the site Hughie mentioned. Wee Ali
barbara
Settling In
Settling In

Post by barbara »

the bridge at my grans and papa fearless house my oldest brother Arthur playing with Tommy
the bridge at my grans and papa fearless house my oldest brother Arthur playing with Tommy
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Nice to see you back, Barbara. Remind me to Arthur when you see him. Wonder if he remembers that round about the time that photo was taken I was sent to mind him while all the family were up at the hospital awaiting the birth of your cousin (my niece) Kay McCallum.

Wonder if that's your dad, Arthur, beside his car?