Saltcoats Shops 1940's/1950's

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Saltcoats Shops 1940's/1950's

Post by gnyaff »

It was definately on the same side as the Melbourne cafe. If you can rememer James Hays Music Shop and the garage on the opposite side it was three quarters of the way up in between those two heading towards the Melbourne Cafe. The door was set back and there were windows with net curtains at the front, You coudn't see what was inside until you went in. If my memeory is still good I remember the window frames were painted a dark red, there was a door in between the cafe and the next shop up, that was the door to the house where the family lived.

Wee Boney
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Thanks to Boney I'm beginning to see it now; somewhere like next door to Baillie's wireless shop I think. As you suggest, it was nothing much to look at from outside; and since I'd never been inside, I'd completely forgotten about it. So we can slot it into its rightful place when we pass it on the Stroll.

Meanwhile I think the place Penny Tray describes probably is the Cosy Cafe; I remember now it had a railed wall and a little front yard, and looked more like the cottage it had been than a shop.

One thing is certain, Saltcoats in those days wasn't short of cafes.

Susan
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Susan/Boney,

I'm happy to bow to a Saltcoats boy on this one.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
BigDancer
Settling In
Settling In

Post by BigDancer »

I believe my grandparents the "Erskine's" had the first fish and chip shop in Quay st and also does anyone remember my great grandfather "MUGGINS Alexander" who managed the old Jubilee bar apparently with an iron fist??

JA
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi, I remember Muggins working in the The Harbour Bar that was on the corner of Harbour St and Queys St ,and I think he worked in Davy Ness's Thistle bar, now the Victoria, Sam.
BigDancer
Settling In
Settling In

Post by BigDancer »

Hi Sam, and Thank you, do you have any recollections of my grandfather "Muggins" at all???
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

I may have missed this but, I remember Dennis Nelsons, I think it was Bradshaw St. I used his shop in the 60's but it gave you the impression it had been there for centuries.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
AnneHM
New Poster
New Poster

Post by AnneHM »

Don't forget Herdman Bakers - 3 - 7 Dockhead Street. Next door was Elsie Mcdermid's wool shop. Opposite was Thompson Butchers.
mike mccann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mike mccann »

The fish and chip shop mentioned on the return journey up Hamilton St as being between Hutchisons and some houses was the Geisha, and it was run by two ladies Mrs O'Rourke and Miss Butler . Good place .
One of the houses going on up towards the Memorial from there was a rather splendid large red house belonging to Dr White .l Later , Dr Rankin lived there .
maggie T
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by maggie T »

Mike ,I remember the Gainsburgh? Think Hamilton Street.Was a tearoom,Maybe that was on the Lascala side.?
mike mccann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mike mccann »

Sorry Maggie, doesn't ring a bell with me .
the Geisha had high shelves around the table 's with big plates ornamenting them .
A girl called Christine Tinney worked there for a while .
mike mccann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mike mccann »

Hi Maggie,
on thinking further , perhaps we nicknamed it " The Geisha " or maybe it changed it's name .