T Ballentyne/Ballantyne, Ardrossan - RAF

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

T Ballentyne/Ballantyne, Ardrossan - RAF

Post by Penny Tray »

This photo, from the Imperial War Museum collection, shows a T Ballentyne, more probably Ballantyne, of Ardrossan, refuelling a Spitfire in Italy.

The only family of this name I remember at the moment included a Mr. Tommy Ballantye who lived in Stanley Road and had a mobile shop business?

Hopefully the photo is of interest to someone.

http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/dbtw-w ... 0&FG=0&QS=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: T Ballentyne/Ballantyne, Ardrossan - RAF

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi PT, is there any way to enlarge the photo,cant see the mans face clearly.There was a Sanny Ballantine who kept a horse at the top of Wellpark Rd and he pulled a fruit wagon with it.I think he was the father of the one in Stanley Rd. Sam.
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Sam ,it was Tommy who had the horse and cart at the top of Wellpark Rd. many a time I went up and met him and sat on the horses back till we reached our house.Sammy was his son and took over with a van and came up to our house when we moved to Pirnmill Rd..
maggie T
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by maggie T »

Sam,Milda I ,Think thayt might be wee Tommys death in the A/S.?
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi Milda, am I getting mixed up with Tommy and Sanny.Who was it that worked in the co-op mens dept.Was there no a Sanny worked there,Regards,Sam.
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Hi Sam ,yes Sanny Ballantyne was the area manager,a lovely wee man he was too .
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Margaret ,that Tommy would have died years ago ,I am sure.Och ,he would have been much older,look at the age of us now.
maggie T
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by maggie T »

Milda.It is Tommy i knew he had the shop in Ardrossan,at St,Margarets Road.Moira worked in the shop,i think his sons helped out,one of them is a bus driver.Sanny was Marade MaCreadies Man yes Milda he was a nice Man.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Sam,

You're asking the wrong man technical questions :lol: Before posting I tried to increase the size of the picture myself by raising the zoom percentage and whilst I got a bigger photograph there was no better definition.

Maggie,

The fact that there is a Tommy Ballantyne's death intimated in the Herald this week is an complete coincidence. I posted at lunch-time today and didn't have access to Tom McGrattan's weekly BDM post until a few moments ago.

Having come across this photo I simply didn't want anyone with a family connection to the airman to miss seeing it, particularly since there seems to be facility to purchase these pictures from the Imperial War Museum.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.