The Galloway Burn

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

The Galloway Burn

Post by Mitchy »

Does anyone know exactly where the source of the Galloway Burn is? I read on the Threetowners archive it was associated with the Whitlees dam, but that's gone now.
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The Galloway Burn

Post by georgersweir »

Mitchy wrote:Does anyone know exactly where the source of the Galloway Burn is? I read on the Threetowners archive it was associated with the Whitlees dam, but that's gone now.
If you follow the line of the burn inland from the sea it appears to flow from a loch(?) or a reservoir. I have circled the water feature in the attached map. Someone with better knowledge of the area should be able to name the water. Also from the map, I see that there are two 'burns' flowing into the water feature (from the North), so, if one of these is also the Galloway burn then the water feature is not the source.

I'm still saving up for a signature.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi, according to an old book I have,there are three Burns in Ardrossan Parish.They are Montfode,Stanley,and Caddel The first two make their rise in Busby Moor and the Caddel flows into the Calf and runs toward Dalry. Sam.
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

The Gallowat Burn rises on the Moores above the Busby Dam. The water was collected in drainage ditches which were dug, many years ago, to drain the moors. this formed a wee burn which bypasses the Dam at the Dam wall end. although some of the water was diverted into the Dam.
The burn then passed under Dalry Rd. and ran through the Lime kiln and primrose valley. It then crossed a couple of fields and arrived at the Mill Dam. Here again some of the water entered the Dam, and the rest diverted by sluce Gates round the far side, to spill over the Dam overflow.
It then ran through the Mill Glen, crossed more fields and skirted round the Whittlees Dam. this was achieved by a long curved Tunnel, {Real scary thing to walk through when you are only 10 years old}
The burn then skirted the Parkhouse dam, on the Cemetery side, crossed the Viaduct near the Academy School, then to sea by way of the Plantation. Many times when I was a boy my pals and I would spend the Day following the Galloway Burn. {A great adventure}
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I doubt there could be much scarier than the Mill dam tunnels in Stevenston! creepy and woohoo!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Wildfowler Lounge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Wildfowler Lounge »

morag wrote:I doubt there could be much scarier than the Mill dam tunnels in Stevenston! creepy and woohoo!
How about crawling backwards down the concrete pipe from its manhole (near the farm-road-with-no-name) till its exit at the Stanley Burn beside the houses at Lawson Drive. :D

Children are mental.
http://protectthepope.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

:lol:
Too bad we (most of us) lose that spirit!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
sheenaj
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sheenaj »

I recall a small stream next to Parkhouse garage and the road towards the cemetary.i used to stop there on my bike for a snack in the 50's -I loved the cycling route to Largs nearly every weekend. I also believe the Galloway burn passed thru Ardrossan Accie,onto the plantation and thru or near St Peter's school prior to reaching the beach.The small passage near a small park close to South Beach Baptist church, [I think a restraunt was there around the 60/'70's -the last building on the street].anyway that is where I caught some small fish-[flat] and tadpoles in a jelly jar.
Wildfowler Lounge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Wildfowler Lounge »

Thankfully it didn't pass through the grounds of St Peter's School (it was hard enough keeping the pupils out of the puddles), but next one along, the grounds of the Scottish Episcopal Church.

BTW, anyone know if that church has a Rood Screen?
http://protectthepope.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

wellparkno9 wrote:Hi, according to an old book I have,there are three Burns in Ardrossan Parish.They are Montfode,Stanley,and Caddel The first two make their rise in Busby Moor and the Caddel flows into the Calf and runs toward Dalry. Sam.
Is Montfode Burn the one that runs past Witches Linn and runs into the sea next to the the Greasy Pole?
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

Mitchy

You are right about Montfode Burn. It enters the sea near the Greasy Pole on the North Shore.

George
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

George Ardrossan wrote:Mitchy

You are right about Montfode Burn. It enters the sea near the Greasy Pole on the North Shore.

George
Thanks George. I actually went on your website after I posted the question about the Montfode Burn and noticed that photograph.

I was out a for walk today and a large part of the Galloway Burn next to Laird Weir was frozen, which is hardly a surprise given the recent weather.