whats this strange place name in saltcoats?

For those researching family in the three towns area.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: whats this strange place name in saltcoats?

Post by sweet caroline »

Of coarse there a Scott .There on my tree
1861 Census with Mother at Dockhead St.,Saltcoats
1891 Census at 16 Bradshaw St.,Saltcoats
1901 Census at Craigmhor,Saltcoats
John Crawford 1829 Ardrossan (Butcher)
Daughter Mary Crawford c1883 married the above James Galbraith Scott,so it was Father in Laws house first
Can't find an emotcom when you need it ,I'll learn LOL :D :D :D
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Like to thank Penny Tray for her input.Much appreciated.

Ellen
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Ellen,

We had maybe better explain firstly, that I've been assisting you with a project through PM's or folks will be scratching their heads wondering exactly what it is I've done. It's not too apparent in the visible postings. Secondly, before Bobbydarg and Little Plum, 'the gruesome twosome' from Stevenston jump in with sarcastic comments, I'm actually a man. My user name causes me this problem from time to time. I'll maybe have to rethink it.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Yes i would LOL

Ellen
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Had a look at details of my parents marriage at "Craigmhor" Saltcoats in 1932 .Craigmhor is in adverted commas ,so not full address.Married by Rev.Ritchie of Stevenston Parish Church.This leads me to it being a private house.It could be what was a boarding house at 3 Canal St.,as mentioned with a respelling of the name by new owner John Crawford ,He had it in the 1901 Census .Don't have details of when it was a boarding house,or who lived there in the 1932/33

Ellen
bobthebarber
Settling In
Settling In

Post by bobthebarber »

When my grandparents marry, Craigmhor isn't in brackets. Their wedding takes place in October 1933. Their wedding cert says "1933 on the sixth day of October at Craigmhor, Saltcoats, after banns, according to the forms of the Church of Scotland". It looks like they were married by J. Geddes Ritchie, Minister of Stevenston Parish.
There is definitely something about this house Craigmhor. Why would a couple marry here and not in the local parish church. "After banns" makes me think there is another reason why this service was held in this house, and not at the church. But if it was a shotgun wedding, or they were different religion or denomination, or didn't give enough notice, then surely they couldn't have been married any earlier in Craigmhor by this minister, than if they were married by him in his parish church?

Bob
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by georgersweir »

bobthebarber wrote:When my grandparents marry, Craigmhor isn't in brackets. Their wedding takes place in October 1933. Their wedding cert says "1933 on the sixth day of October at Craigmhor, Saltcoats, after banns, according to the forms of the Church of Scotland". It looks like they were married by J. Geddes Ritchie, Minister of Stevenston Parish.
There is definitely something about this house Craigmhor. Why would a couple marry here and not in the local parish church. "After banns" makes me think there is another reason why this service was held in this house, and not at the church. But if it was a shotgun wedding, or they were different religion or denomination, or didn't give enough notice, then surely they couldn't have been married any earlier in Craigmhor by this minister, than if they were married by him in his parish church?

Bob
Bob, the' reading of banns' is entirely normal practice for Church of Scotland (and other denominational) weddings and refers to the minister 'announcing' the forthcoming marriage at Sunday services. I believe that the purpose of banns is to enable anyone to raise any legal impediment to the marriage, so as to prevent marriages that are legally invalid.

I have heard of other Presbyterian weddings being held in premises other than churches (e.g., in a manse) and this may have been common in cases of 'mixed' marriages (e.g., where there is one Church of Scotland party and one catholic). Perhaps this was the reason for holding the wedding in a private house?
I'm still saving up for a signature.
bobthebarber
Settling In
Settling In

Post by bobthebarber »

yes I had thought of that. my grandmother was church of ireland (established church) so there is the chance that this may be the reason banns were read out. i am hoping someone out there knows why the parish minister held religious services in craigmhor, if it was possibly a boarding house, as another lister suggested. why not just marry in the parish church at saltcoats?
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by georgersweir »

bobthebarber wrote:yes I had thought of that. my grandmother was church of ireland (established church) so there is the chance that this may be the reason banns were read out. i am hoping someone out there knows why the parish minister held religious services in craigmhor, if it was possibly a boarding house, as another lister suggested. why not just marry in the parish church at saltcoats?
My suggestion is that the wedding was conducted on 'neutral' ground because the couple were of mixed religion. The reading of banns has no special significance - it is a legal requirement and does not indicate anything unusual about this particular marriage.
I'm still saving up for a signature.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

One other thing Bob - maybe the church was unavailable for some reason - fire, flood, famine, roof leaking, or maybe that boarding house is where the minister was living at the time, again for some reason such as buklders in the manse working etc.etc. My parents got married (first time around to each other) in Ardrossan parish church manse - they got married again (to each other four years later) at St Mary's Star of the Sea - again I think in the Priest's House at the side of the church. They chose where they got married on both occasions for their own reasons.

Meg

Meg
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Its not unusual to be married in private property at that time.The one above your Grandparents were married in the Lesser Hall,which was not a religious venue.My parents were both Church of Scotland,althought his deceased father was Church of Ireland.So i think whoever owned Craigmhor at that time new both couples.They had connections with the same place in Ireland.My Mother's family in Stevenston goes way back so no reason for her not to marry in the High Kirk,or manse.Father was born in Stevenston.His Mother came from Dalry ,father from Ireland as i said.

Ellen
bobthebarber
Settling In
Settling In

Post by bobthebarber »

It has to be that Ellen, a personal connection with whoever lived at Craigmhor in the 1930's, a connection that takes some family members back to County Down. Cheers to everyone who has helped and added their suggestions and thoughts :D