billy simmonds he went to kyleshill saltcoats in 1945 to about
late 50s would be very greatful to get even one
yours hellen.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hellen,
Did your dad come to Australia in the mid 1960s? I remember meeting a bloke from Saltcoats by that name at a party in Melbourne back then. The school years you mention seem to tie in with the age of the man I met.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

nan_brodie wrote:yes my dad came to australia in 1963 we lived in carlton for 9 years then
my parents bought a house in sunshine he went back home in 1990 then again in 1994 were he stayed then died in 2001.we the kids that is have no school photos of him or mum nan brodie they devorced in 1985 mum now lives in maidstone victoria.he was tall white curly hair and worked for m.m.b.w.s ps. let me know if he rings a bell.
Hi Hellen?
First, if replying please click "Postreply" rather than "new topic" or we will be all over the place. I'll delete that new topic as I've copied it above.

Yes that was Billy, he had dark curly hair then and was tall and slim - much like me, except I had the red heid :roll: I might have met him a few times because at that time we mixed with ex Scottish Junior footballers living in Melbourne.

The party I met Billy at was I think in the suburb of Newport. We were with another couple Whiteman Savage from Kilwinning and his then Stevenston wife Betty McEwan.

Sorry I can't help with any school photo's of him.
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

Hi Hellen,

I remember your dad very well, he was a good friend of my oldest brother Kenny, they were about the same age. Your dad lived at No. 14 Nelson Road in the last house on the left hand side, next door to McCallum the coalman, there were no houses on the other side, just a field with cows in it. We were just round the corner on Auchenharvie Road. I remember Billy coming round often with his suit on when he and Kenny were going out somewhere looking for the talent. I never saw much of him after my brother got married. If he was at Kyleshill School he would only have been there until 1952 as it was only a primary school, he would then have gone on to Ardrossan Academy or the Public School. Next time I talk with my brother I'll ask him what information he has. At the moment he has gone off to Torremolinos in Spain for a couple of weeks. He will be ringing me when he comes back.

Wee Boney
nan_brodie
New Poster
New Poster

billy simmonds

Post by nan_brodie »

thanks heaps
wee boney as every bit helps
could you ask your brother if he has any school photos with dad in them
i have one photo of him at the pub with a group of friends all in suits
i will put it in when my son comes to visit me as i,m still on my L,plates when it comes to computers
thanks heaps wee boney
hellen.
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

Hi Helen,

Iv'e just got off the phone to my brother and we had a good chat about Billy. He left Kyleshill and went to the Public School. My brother doesn't have any photos but he did tell me that your dad has a sister called Nancy who still lives in somewhere in Saltcoats and he always said hello when they passed in the street, but he doesn't know her married name. My brother no longer lives in Saltcoats as he is now in Prestwick. he did say that there is also a younger brother Tommy whom he thinks lives in Corrie Crescent, Saltcoats. he will do his best to find out for you. There is a sister called Lee who went to Cananda some years ago, no information on her, perhaps some of our Canadian ex pats might be able to help. There is another sister who's name he can't remember who joined the army and now resides in England.
My brother remembers your dad coming back and said he spent some time driving taxis before he died. perhaps there is some one in Saltcoats who will know a Tommy Simmonds whos lives in Corrie Crescent. I won't have much more news for you this side of then end of the month as I will be on holiday for a few weeks.

Wee Boney
nan
Settling In
Settling In

Re: kyleshill any more photos out there

Post by nan »

Hi
I wonder if this is the same Billy Simmonds that my brother Peter Johnston knocked about with,I can only remember dark curly hair.I remember a photo of a few of them together my brother Peter probably has a copy of that.
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: kyleshill any more photos out there

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

i know tommy and will bring this up next time i see him.
James Barr (Brvhrtjimmy)