A day trip to Irvine.

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: A day trip to Irvine.

Post by Penny Tray »

Susan,

You constantly astound me with your personal recollection of things and your apparently easy access to precise detail!

I remember the cabin you describe but can't recall if it stood on its own ground or if it was part of the former Redburn Hotel complex. Probably the former.

George will keep us right with the various passages/lanes in the town but I remember the Chapel Close which he has properly referred to as The Grip. It got Chapel Close, I think, simply because most folk making their way to St. Mary's RC Church in West Road travelled that route in the days before we all had motors. There was also Purdie's Close on the other side of High Street which led through to East Road. And, of course, the Jile Close which extended from HIgh Street (south) up the side of the Townhouse to the polis station.

Glasgow Vennel, incidentally, is where Robert Burns lodged when he stayed in Irvine. He also worked in a shed there as a flax heckler.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by georgersweir »

down south wrote:...a rather over-the-top kitsch souvenir-shop in a cabin decorated with much tartan and a stag's head I think; anyone else remember that place ?
Penny Tray wrote:...I remember the cabin you describe but can't recall if it stood on its own ground or if it was part of the former Redburn Hotel complex. Probably the former...
I believe you are thinking of Dykehead Horn Products. This was a separate (not very substantial) building much closer to Kilwinning than the Redburn Hotel. I never visited the building but I do remember the stags head with great antlers, and a sign that advertised horn products... I recall wondering what a horn product might be :)

Did anyone ever visit the store?
I'm still saving up for a signature.
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by georgersweir »

A Lost Corner of Irvine

Probably most Threetowners would have travelled to Irvine by bus. This means that the High Street and the Cross would be familiar. Perhaps, less familiar would be the vicinity of the railway station. This was part of Fullarton parish (the harbour side of the River Irvine) and the station was usually reached from the main (Irvine parish) part of the town by Fullarton Street. This photo postcard (from around 1900) shows the 'classic' view from the Railway station looking toward Fullarton Street (as it was until re-development of the Fullarton area, under the Irvine Development Corporation). Note the pubs on both facing corners (the Railway Inn and the Eglinton Arms). This area was known as Bridgegate because it led to the old bridge over the river (in the direction of the view).

Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Another great photo George. I begin to worry when I recognise the scenes as they were. The road shooting off to the right beyond the Eglinton Arms was Montgomerie Street, I think? There was a primary school there. I also remember an old eccentric who lived on the right hand side of Fullarton Street as you looked up towards the Bridge. His name was McConnachie. I'm not sure how it was possible but he had a tree growing up through a hole in his livingroom floor.
ffoster
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by ffoster »

The Italian cafe on Bank Street was Pierone's not Bramanti's.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Thanks ffoster. That was just to draw you into your first post. It had nothing to do with my memory. WELCOME.

You'll maybe recognise a couple in this short film, including the Heidie from Irvine Royal Academy:

http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=5034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by georgersweir »

Penny Tray wrote:... including the Heidie from Irvine Royal Academy...
PT, I recognise 'the Lug', as we called him (standing beside Clement Wilson). He had a house on Kilwinning Road. I think it backed on to the moor. I remember stealing apples from his garden with several accomplices (how brave is that?).

Alex MacMillan was rector from 1953 until 1969, in which year the pupils from Irvine Royal Academy moved (with the rector) to the newly opened Ravenspark Academy.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

George,

I would go as far as to add 'stealing apples from his garden' to the list of mental illnesses we were recently discussing under another topic.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

The old Bridgegate:

http://www.irvineayrshire.org/tour/imag ... gegate.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Penny Tray wrote:I wondered if there was any value in us taking a 'trip' from time to time to another Ayrshire town.
I think that's a great idea, Penny. I'll sticky this at the top of the board for a while and see how we go. We can move on to another local town later. My great great McCallum grandparents are buried in Irvine - a branch of our early family lived there in the late 1800s, so I reckon I'd have a few rellies there.

A few random memories of Irvine:
The first time I ever hit a golf ball, apart from on the local putting greens was on a pitch and putt course on the Low Green around the mid-1950s.

Cycling to the Marymass festival along past Cunningham Home

The fun that was the special late bus back to the three towns after the Friday late dance at the Ritz. When the Kilwinning lassies got off, things got a wee bit quieter. :roll: The ones I remember were Sandra Strain and the likeable Sally Hall. There was another who often wore a sack dress but can't recall her name.

Walking through the dead quiet town at 2am having missed the last bus from Kilmarnock after dancing at the Grand Hall.

In 1978, just arrived from Australia after being away fourteen years. I went to the Police Station in the Town Hall and thought it odd to see polis with white shirts. :roll: Still doesnae look right.
Eileen (Flood) Healy
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Eileen (Flood) Healy »

George, in 1970-73 when we were stationed in England and we would come home to Ardrossan for a visit I liked to go to the Dykehead Horncraft shop . Some of the things I bought were a pair of penguins, masks, a fish and a sailing ship and also gifts for friends. Everything was very well made and I still have them today. Eileen.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Hughie,

Your contribution started triggering memories for me. I too played pitch and putt, as opposed to putting only, on the Low Green. I'm struggling now though to remember the exact location of the course. I have a feeling it was on the land to the right of the Fire Station as you walked down towards the River Irvine from the Turf Corner? There was a wee footbridge nearby which took you over to the Waterside.

I was interested too that you took the trouble to go the Marymass, a great event, and travelled via Cunninghame Home -the former 'Pairse Hoose'. George might recall the the second name of John, the inmate who had been resident there since he was a wee boy and whoin the 60's, I recall walking into Irvine every day, conspicuous with his soft hat, and who had the eccentric habit of stopping along the way to wind up the lamposts. He was a jolly soul.

I can't match your exploits of walking home from Kilmarnock but on many occasions, having missed the last AA, did so from the previously mentioned Turf Corner.

And thanks too for talking down the polis white shirts. Give me the blue any day, including the detached collars with front and back studs. The lane between the Townhouse and the Police Station, along which you passed was or certainly was referred to the Jile Close by the polis.