Happy Lands in Saltcoats

For those researching family in the three towns area.
Alex Hughes
Settling In
Settling In

Happy Lands in Saltcoats

Post by Alex Hughes »

Hi Folks,

I`m posting this for Sharon McLaughlan who is looking for Happy Lands in Saltcoats, we do not know if it is a building or land.

The entry they got the information from just said "of Happy Lands, Saltcoats".

Has anyone saw this or know of it?

Thanks

Alex Hughes
Roanen
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

happylands

Post by Roanen »

I seem to remember years ago the sandy hills in Saltcoats being called happylands dont know if this was just a slang or real but hope it helps.
Roanen xx
joromomi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by joromomi »

Hi , could that be the Caravan park. :?:
This is just a guess, ............Joyce
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Happy Land

Post by wellparkno9 »

I think you are refering to houses that stood where the doctors surgery is in Raise st.Years ago I remember talking to old Willie Queen, he said ,he lived in the Happy Land when he was a boy.When I asked him where that was,he said ,in the back of Pringles Garage,which later became the bourgh
yard,and is now the doctors.If old Willie were alive he would be about 95
I think,so we are talking about 100 years ago.I think old Willie is one of the worthies on an other web site,photos taken by HEWMAC's brother.
Where did you come across the term Happy Land? All the best,Sam.
Alex Hughes
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Alex Hughes »

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies.

I posted the query for Sharon. I`m hoping she will join and supply more info on the John McLAUCHLAN and family she is researching.

It is Happy Land that she is after. Everyone`s suggestions gives her some place to search for in the maps now.

tata

Alex
sharon
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Happy Land

Post by sharon »

Hi Alex, thankyou for posting my question. Thanks to Sam and everyone else who answered, we have finally found out where and what Happy Land is. Sorry its taken me so long to reply but im still learning how to use computer, called my mum right away to let her know and she is delighted with results, glad its not a brothel as one woman suggested he he :lol: thanks again to everyone. Sharon
Alex Hughes
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Alex Hughes »

Hi Sharon,

Could you let us know where and what Happy Land is?

tata

Alex
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Happy Lands in Saltcoats

Post by Hughie »

This is a topic from 2005. Found "Happy Land" mentioned a few times in Saltcoats court proceedings, but only once where it was named as being in Kyleshill. Which is pretty spot on from what Sam said.
wellparkno9 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:39 pm I remember talking to old Willie Queen, he said ,he lived in the Happy Land when he was a boy.When I asked him where that was,he said ,in the back of Pringles Garage,which later became the bourgh yard
This from the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald November 1876
Happy Land November 1876.jpg