whats this strange place name in saltcoats?

For those researching family in the three towns area.
bobthebarber
Settling In
Settling In

whats this strange place name in saltcoats?

Post by bobthebarber »

hi there, new to the forum.

have just discovered the 1933 marriage of my irish grandmother, at a place that looks like craignahor? saltcoats; dont know if this is the church she married at, but writing on the cert really bad. wondered if anyone recognised this place name or church in saltcoats.

what a fab site, have found out loads about the area and people
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: whats this strange place name in saltcoats?

Post by Penny Tray »

Bob,

I'm wondering if CRAIGNAHOR was or still is the name of a house in one of the three towns? Ring a bell with anyone?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

CRAIGMHOR has come to mind.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

This is bugging me - (and I don't know where this is coming from in my brain) - (and I may be on the wrong track altogether) but did Nellany the Bookmaker not live in a big house in South Crescent, Ardrossan, called CRAIG MHOR?
bobthebarber
Settling In
Settling In

Post by bobthebarber »

hi, thanks for your postings, but my grandma and her husband to be both lived in ardeer square when they married. he was a labourer, and his father and grandfather dynamite workers. presumably they lived together in one of the dynamite factory workers houses? and in squalor by reading the site and its article on ardeer square.

the wedding cert says they were married, "sixth october, ? craignahor ?, saltcoats". i thought it was maybe where they had the ceremony, as the cert before says the same date, but the previous couple married in the "lesser town hall, saltcoats". bizarre...............
johng
New Poster
New Poster

Post by johng »

Both Craignahor, suggested by Bobthebarber, and Craig Mhor, suggested by Penny Tray, sound Scots/Irish Gaeilc.

Is there any possibility the grandparents were Gaelic?

The following suggests the Three Town had a Gaelic speaking population -

"Gaelic Free Church History

John Hamilton, minister of the Gaelic quoad sacra church, and practically all his members, "came out" in 1843, and became known as the Saltcoats Free Gaelic congregation. Their church was taken from them and they were placed at great disadvantage. In 1852 the charge was reduced to a preaching station. The church was built in 1867, and in 1868 sanction was restored. The manse was erected in 1887. With the decrease of the Gaelic speaking population the membership greatly declined, having fallen to fifty in 1898. As the congregation increased from that date Gaelic became unnecessary.

Elsewhere, including this site, there is similar mention that there is or was a church in Ardrossan Road, Saltcoats, opposite the Registry Office, originally the South Beach Church built in 1867 for the Saltcoats Free Gaelic Church, later to become the Baptist Church.

I wonder if the Manse House mentioned had a name and if it was itself used for small wedding ceremonies?
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi, Re requests for information about"CRAIGMHOR".On an old map I have "CRAIGMOHR" (notice the spelling)is listed as a boarding house at 3 Canal St. Saltcoats,Tel No.569 .Sam.
bobthebarber
Settling In
Settling In

Post by bobthebarber »

thanks for that - at least I know what the strange word is now - weird that they married in a boarding house though!
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

My Parents were married there in 1932 .A James Scott had a female child born there in c1920.I think it is the name of a private house.My Mother was a Scott hence the connection.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

James Galbraith Scott, Heir of Line

Birth 29 Jun 1884 Kyleshill, Stevenston Parish, Ayrshire, Scotland
Gender Male
Military Service 1914-1918 [3]
WW I
Residence 1920 Craigmhor, Saltcoats, Stevenston Parish, Ayrshire, Scotland [3]
Residence 14 Mar 1928 Muirhead, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland [2]
Died 1952 Southsea, Hampshire, England
Person ID I194 Clan current
Last Modified 30 Jul 2009 10:55:00

Found this tree
http://www.clanmacfarlanegenealogy.info ... 94&tree=CC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Lieut. James Galbraith Scott, Heir of Line, who was born on 29 June 1884 in Kyleshill, Stevenston Parish, Ayrshire, Scotland (resided at 8 Kingsford Avenue in Muirend, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland on 14 March 1928 when he was the informant for his brother's death certificate), and died in 1952 in Southsea, Hampshire, England. He served in the British Army during the First World War, and he lived at Craigmhor, Saltcoats, Ayrshire when he was his mother's executor in 1920. James was the Heir of Line to the chiefship of Clan MacFarlane and the barony of Arrochar in succession to his father and married (5/6 October 1917, South Beach United Free Church, Saltcoats) Mary Duncan Crawford (died 1974, Repps-cum-Bastwick, Norfolk, England), daughter of John Crawford and his wife Catherine Robertson.2.47 (Mary's brother, John, married James's sister.) They had at least two daughters, of whom the younger was: Miss Catherine Robertson Scott."
from 'The barons of Arrochar and their cadets' a manuscript by Chevalier Terrance Gach MacFarlane. Chapt 2- 25b [2]
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Well not my Scotts of Stevenston.Wonder who lived there in 1932/3