Some things I remember !

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Rowanside
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Some things I remember !

Post by Rowanside »

Hi Maggie,Yes,Primrose Valley is up on the right hand side of Dalry Road.It runs for about 1/2 mile before the road leading up to Meckle Busbie farm.Did you ever hear it being referred to as "Lime Kiln" as well as Primrose Valley ?

Regards,Alan (Rowanside)
maggie T
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by maggie T »

Hello.No alan i have never known it as that name but is likely the proper name.I remember my auntie lived in
Aucinharvie Rd,And me and my cousins played what we called the Bluebell Wood.If you find out the meaning of
Lime Kiln,Let us Know Cheers Maggie T.
Rowanside
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Rowanside »

Maggie,was "Bluebell Wood" just round from me in what is now "Island View"??

Regards, Alan
maggie T
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by maggie T »

Sorry Alan I was Talking about SAltcoats .Could have been one near you ?Maggie T.
maggie
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by maggie »

Yes Alan the bluebell wood was where
I think you are comming from I alway's thought
it was just under the tunnel after Island view
near witches lynn. we used to go and pick the
bluebells. We lived in Ashgrove as it was called
then when they extended it became ashgrove road
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Maggie,
Primrose Valley was one of the regular places wee boys went on Sundays on the Ardrossan - Dalry Road. And I remember getting taken to the Bluebell wood by my big sister. Tom posted the following back in 2006.
mcgrattan wrote:Image
Attached is a photograph, taken in Stanley Avenue (today), looking towards the Bluebell Wood. The gate to the wood would have been where the first house is. This development, built about 30 years ago, is called Seafield Court. The trees in the background are in the grounds of Seafield School.
Tom McGrattan
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Rowanside wrote:Playing "Thunder and Lightning"
Muckinn oot Dan Craigs piggery for 2 bob.
delivering coal bricketts in west Kilbride at the weekend for the Winton foundry.
Gaun fur cases at the harbour (even for the I.O.M midnight ferry)
Sliding doon the Cannon hill on a bread board nicked frae the co-op.
Pinchin apples frae the snobbie gardens in North Cresent.
Playing up "Primrose Valley ,and the "Big Wood".
Divin aff "Jerry,s Pier"
Hunting for "Crouben" doon the inches.
Jeezo Alan, I think we must have lived parallel lives - did everything you did except sell bricketts. But there is a connection. :roll:
I was about finished my moulding apprenticeship in Winton Foundry when the Clyde Shipyards started to go slack. Winton Foundry existed on orders from the shipyards. The brothers Yuille, Archie, Jackie and Wullie - I think the latter two lived in your Street. Well I know Wullie did 'cause when I took his daughter home from the Craigs one night I was scared he'd see me.

The brothers bought an old army truck and got into the Brickett business. Think it might be 'briquettes' business. (grate spill chucker I've goat) lol . Onyway, they had a couple of first and second year apprentices helping sell them - Ian and Archie Yuille who were cousins, Bobby Walker (played for Beith). Ian (Aker) Reid, Johnny Grant. The latter two moved to Ardeer foundry with me and we were lucky enough to land jobs in the non-ferrous moulding section.

I still mind those cauld mornings and the briquettes on the truck coming back from the coalree still steam rising from them.
belle
Settling In
Settling In

Post by belle »

Hughie wrote that he remembers the "cauld mornings and the briquettes on the truck coming back from the coalree still steam rising from them." My Dad, Alex Reid, sold briquettes early 1960s, and as well as the steam, and the cold mornings I also remember the smell of them and how dirty I got when I used to help him in the van.

Elizabeth
Redcliffe
danmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by danmac »

I remember back in the 50s before they 'changed our local palais into a bowling alley....'

My parents took me to see the Billy Rusk show.
I also remember a chap trying to get int the Guinness Book Of Records by being the person playing the piano for the longest non-stop period. I don't remember him making it.

Tony
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

danmac wrote:I also remember a chap trying to get int the Guinness Book Of Records by being the person playing the piano for the longest non-stop period. I don't remember him making it.
Here you go Tony :wink: : http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 20#p125020
danmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by danmac »

I can't remember what I wrote all those years ago :shock:
Stiil a lot of catching up to do!

Tony
danmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by danmac »

:drunk:
I know Hugh I asked the same question in the year dot (2000) when you replied that you worked for Yuille's Winton Foundry :amen:
But I do wonder how many of the people who answered then still exist as members of Threetowners today?
Tony