Africa House

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
gerv
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Africa House

Post by gerv »

Africa House at ardeer before it was demolished.

gerv
Attachments
151372_d7f0796b.jpg
JimMcCub
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Africa House

Post by JimMcCub »

Hi Gerry
when did they demolish Africa house ? I didn't know they had I thought it was listed .

live the life you love love the life you live
gerv
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by gerv »

Jim

I am not sure if it has been demolished but looking at the picture i dont think it is still there

Gerv
gerv
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by gerv »

Sorry Jim My information states :More recently it lies derelict, vandalised and burnt out.
as you can see from this photo.

gerv
Attachments
151371_3dc8b1a2.jpg
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne »

Always knew about Africa House but never actually saw it. It is built in the Cape Dutch style, we have just returned from Cape Town where you see the style alot, mostly on the beautiful Wine Estates. It is a popular style throughout SA. Thanks gerv that was nice to see.

Anne
dreamer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dreamer »

Those photos look familiar, probably because I'm the person who took them! I don't mean to sound like a party pooper but its common courtesy to list the name of the photographer or at least the website where you got the photo. Thats exactly the reason why I started watermarking my photos in another thread: because of the amount of times I see them pop up on the internet without so much as a credit.

Here and here are the original links to the photos. I haven't visited the site recently, but to the best of my knowledge the building is still there.
gerv
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by gerv »

[quote="dreamer"]Those photos look familiar, probably because I'm the person who took them! I don't mean to sound like a party pooper but its common courtesy to list the name of the photographer or at least the website where you got the photo. Thats exactly the reason why I started watermarking my photos in another thread: because of the amount of times I see them pop up on the internet without so much as a credit.

[url=http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/151371]Here[/url] and [url=http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/151372]here[/url] are the original links to the photos. I haven't visited the site recently, but to the best of my knowledge the building is still there.[/quote]
Dreamer
Sorry about the photos I did not know their origin, a photcopy of them were given to me.
Thanks for the link to the website their are a few good photos of the threetowns and surrounding areas.
keep up the good work.

gerv
dreamer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dreamer »

No problem gerv sorry for my little tantrum, glad you enjoy the site it is rather good!
Ross Sturgeon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ross Sturgeon »

Hey people Ross here. I ahve some new news for you as i just found it out some months ago... They are not doing any demolition to the building. Infact they are doing some work to it. Its going to be turned into an indoor paintball arena. Thats what i heard from the guy who bought the land there.
Thank you for viewing my post... :D
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Oh dear lord, just what Stevenston needs!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Ross Sturgeon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ross Sturgeon »

Infact that whole area is going to be retransformed. They have been doing alot of digging in the field lateley where the unnoficial dirt track was. I was also told they are going to get a fully liscensed track down there for people to use.
Thank you for viewing my post... :D
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

One more picture of Africa House; an artists' view of it by Hugh Copeland, an Ardrossan Academy pupil, from the school magazine of 1956. Still in fully active use in those days of course, it was where the staff canteens were.
Africa House ICI 1956 by Hugh Copland.jpg
Susan
Last edited by down south on Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.