Just Joined? Please Introduce Yourself

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.

Where in the world do we live?

Three towns
30%
Elsewhere in Scotland
21%
England
16%
Other UK
2%
Europe other than UK
2%
Australia
12%
Canada
6%
New Zealand
2%
USA
6%
Others
3%

Total votes: 438

Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hello from Wales!

Post by Hughie »

Jane Thomas wrote:I'm trying to learn as much as I can about Ardrossan and the area because my husband and I are thinking of moving there in 2009. Any tips gratefully received! (Pros and cons etc)
Sorry I can't help there Jane, I've been gone over forty years and my last trip in August and September was magic. A very hard question which I'll leave to the locals. :?
Jane Thomas
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Jane Thomas »

Thanks anyway Hughie! A very Merry Christmas to you and your family! (At last you'll be nice and warm there instead of freezing like we are back in the UK!) :D
Rowanside
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Rowanside »

Hi all,Born,bred ,and still live in Rowanside Terace.Son,Daughter ,both married,Grandson,grand daughter.Winton/Eglington/Academy/Glasgow Uni.Best wishes to anyone who remembers me >
welshman

Re: Just Joined? Please Introduce Yourself

Post by welshman »

Hi all.
My name is Stephen Kerrigan living in Dunfermline,Fife.
My association with the Three Towns was only brief (8 months) whilst I was working for North Ayrshire Leisure Trust on an Interim Management contract as Head of Operations whilst they reorganised their top management structure.
During that time I travelled extensively from Irvine up to Largs and all stations in between and inland (North Ayrshire Council boundaries) as part of my job so I got to know the area and the locals very well.
Jane Thomas
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Jane Thomas »

Hi Stephen and Happy New Year to you! Which part of Wales are you from? (I'm in Neath) We're hoping to move to Ardrossan (or vicinity) next year and this coming summer hope to get to know the area much better, including using the train up and down the line (we'll be staying in Largs). It looks like a really good service up and down the river and to Glasgow as well. Hope you're happy in Dunfermline - it's a nice place, my cousin lived there so I used to visit many years ago.
Best wishes,
Jane
welshman

Post by welshman »

Hi Jane
Nice to see another Taff in here.
Originally from Merthyr and still have daughter and wife's family living in Merthyr/Aberdare.
Were down there over Christmas and even went down to Glyn Neath or nearby to see an old friend who has moved down there from Aberdare.
Been in Fife now for 18 years after moving up from Blackpool area on Fylde coast.
Both now retired and enjoying travelling.
Adrossan area is a nice place and the new road cutting out the built up areas of the three towns is a treat.
The train service is very good for getting about and frequent.
Hope your move goes well and you enjoy where ever you put down your roots.

Regards
Steve
Jane Thomas
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Jane Thomas »

Hi Steve,
Nice to hear from you - thanks for your reply! I haven't been to Merythr for a long time (couldn't find anywhere to park the last time, I remember!) though went to Aberdare more recently and the lovely country park there. We walked to the waterfalls near Glyn Neath a couple of months ago. Thanks for your comments about Ardrossan area. We won't be moving for another year so have plenty of time to do more research, which means 2-3 more holidays on the Clyde beforehand as well! I know the area from Greenock to Largs very much as I lived in Greenock as a child and have been back for lots of trips through the years. I've also been to Ayr a few times - but the area inbetween I scarcely know, apart from the main road! The reason we want to get to know Ardrossan etc is because the postion would suit us well (as it's between places we'd want to visit), the good rail links - and also because I've noticed that property prices are a fair bit cheaper so we'd get more for our money. We'll be up in the summer to have a really good look round..
Thanks again and Happy New Year!

Best wishes,
Jane
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

Hi My name is Robert Cook from Ardrossan I went to Winton, Eglinton and Ardrossan Academy from 1946 to 1957. Lived at 160 Glasgow st. next door to George Fleming and family then moved to Rowanside Terrace in1954. Emigrated to Canada in 1957 now living in Nanaimo, B.C. This computer thingy is new to me so dont ken whether a'm daein this right or no but nothin ventured nothin gained.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Hi, Robert.
Welcome to 3Ts.
Are you related to Billy Cook. If so think you may know my husband Bobby McCubbin. He went to Eglinton and Winton, and lived in Clyde Terr. before coming to Australia.
Netta
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

Hi Netta - Thanks for the welcome. No, Iam not related to Billy Cook though we were in the same class at school. There was also a Bobby McCubbin in my class as can be seen in this site in the Eglinton school photo (1953) . Billy is in the same photo. I am the guy with the specs. Is this the same Bobby McCubbin you married? Though Bobby and I were not close he did come to my house in Rowanside Terrace a few times.

Robbie
Big T
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Big T »

Hi All.
My name is Tommy Hanlon. I went to St Johns and St Michaels from 1946 to 1956. I was born in Stinson at 35 Moorpark Rd West and then Hamilton Crescent lived there then moved to Saltcoats. I remarried and I now live in Mentor Ohio. I drove buses for most of the local bus companies the last being Clyde Coast who I was with for 16 years.
I am now retired and love every minute of it.

Tommy H
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Tommy, your name sounds familiar.
I wonder if you drove for AI when my two aunts were conductresses there. They were Sarah Thomson and Nessie McClone.
Netta