windmill st.,on the rocks

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
joantoyboy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by joantoyboy »

hi harrysteele do you not mean 10 hill st., instead of windmill st., i used to rent the top floor of 10 hill st., in the beginning of the 50,sand it was across from the old pool., joan
harrysteell
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

old out door baths in saltcoats. for the m.c.h.

Post by harrysteell »

Hi jantoyboy 10 hill street is still there its num. 8 thats has gone, when I was in saltcoats the other week I spoke to the man from num. 10 he says his family lived in that house for years
joantoyboy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by joantoyboy »

hi harrysteele ,when you spoke to the man who owned 10 hill st., was it john wales? he was just a wee lad when we lived there he was about 14, his mother was a widow they were great people very good to her renters. joantoyboy
harrysteell
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

N0 10 Hill street

Post by harrysteell »

Hello joantoyboy yes his name was WALES, I think I mentioned him in an earlier post, I had a good chat to him as my wife went round the shops, I would think he would be sixty ish. average height I not quite sure if he gave me his first name, 8 hill st. the house is gone but a wall inside mr. wales garden is all that is left of the wash house, his parents lived there before him, he is now retired, regards Harry.
joantoyboy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by joantoyboy »

hi harrysteele did you notice if there was still a wash house in john wales back yard i used to do my washing there many moons ago .thanks for the memories. joantoyboy :lol:
harrysteell
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

10 Hill STREET SALTCOATS

Post by harrysteell »

Hi Joan as I went through the gate there was a long building a kind of leanto against the front wall that was probably the wash house but I think john has a workshop in there now, as I went down the path to the front door I noticed the brass name plate on the front door WALES, he came out of the workshop regards Harry
joantoyboy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by joantoyboy »

hi jimmy once again thanks for finding out for me what the wee house on the rocks was now that i think of it there is a concrete slab right about where the wee house was, next time i go back to saltcoats i am going to check that out. joan :lol:
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: windmill st.,on the rocks

Post by Hughie »

For clarity I've replaced the missing image in this post It shows where this building was located on the rocks at Saltcoats and where the photo would have been taken from.
dreamer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dreamer »

Thanks for replacing the missing photo Hughie, I think I’ve long since lost access to where it was hosted.

Here’s an article on the history of the bathing pond, including the wee bath house (or both of them, as it turns out), if anyone is interested. It definitely wasn’t a pump house as was thought much earlier in the thread.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

That's an interesting little website you've directed us to, Dreamer; thanks for that.

Susan