The Ardrossan Tabernacle

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

The Ardrossan Tabernacle

Post by Penny Tray »

I came across a reference today to a wedding in June 1919, in The Ardrossan Tabernacle. The service was conducted by the Revs. W. Turnbull and J. B. Sharpe; the groom was the Rev. W. L. Telford, the bride a Mary M. Drysdale.

I think I'm correct in saying that neither Ardrossan Tabernacle nor any of the three ministers have been mentioned on Threetowners before, which is easily explained in the case of the clergy if they came from out of town, but where on earth was the Tabernacle? The only clue I can offer is that in relation to a building as opposed to a container "a tin tabernacle, also known as an iron church, is a type of prefabricated building made from corrugated galvanised iron. They were developed in the mid-19th century in the United Kingdom."
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The Ardrossan Tabernacle

Post by George Ardrossan »

Penny Tray

My guess is that The Ardrossan Tabernacle was in Bute Place as the building with the red door at this link - http://www.s173884875.websitehome.co.uk ... e%206B.htm.

The building with the red door in the background was built as the Evangelical Union (EU) Congregational Church and opened on 15 July 1860. This served the congregation for over forty years before it transferred to its present premises in Glasgow Street on 16 December 1903. In 1912, the Church of the Nazarene took over the 'red door' premises and used them till its new location in Glasgow Street opened on 10 October 1959. In the 1970s, the 'red door' building housed Bute Service Centre before the business moved to premises in North Crescent Road then Harbour Road. The Rovers Club in the centre was the recreation club of Ardrossan Winton Rovers Football Club from the 1972 to 1982. Prior to that, the building was the home of the Shell Club, the recreation club of the Shell Oil Refinery. It was previously the Assembly Hall and served as a place of worship from 1926 to 1938 prior to the opening of the Church of Saint Peter in Chains.

George
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The Ardrossan Tabernacle

Post by Penny Tray »

George,

Thanks very much for this detailed information and photograph. It ties in perfectly with information sent to me by hahaya2004 (Irene), who is able to say that on 27 June, 1919, the Rev. William Lime Telford, Perth, Minister of the Nazarene Church, married Mary Montgomery Drysdale, Saltcoats, at the Tabernacle, Bute Place, Ardrossan, information derived from their marriage certificate.

This would seem to suggest that the congregation of the Church of the Nazarene in Ardrossan, certainly in 1919, referred to their premises in Bute Place, as the Tabernacle. In all my time it was only ever referred to as the Nazarene Church.

Every day is a school day, and I have to say that Threetowners is blessed to have you and Irene among our teachers.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.