Percy Webber McCulloch WW1

For those researching family in the three towns area.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Percy Webber McCulloch WW1

Post by sweet caroline »

Watching Antiques Roadshow special on the Somme earlier tonight ,brought this man back into my thoughts. Wondering if I was right the first time .Something to do with planes?
Arg & Suth Highrs 7th Bn-No.278230
Discharged 6th July 1917 from Tavernham Camp,Norwich.-No longer fit.
Trade -Analytical Chemist
intended address -207 Glasgow St.Ardrossan
Died c1954 New Zealand

SC

Edit-or perhaps not.
◾2/7th Battalion Princess Louise's (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders) T.F. - Norwich:
193rd Brigade, 64th Division
April moved to Taverham.
Autumn disbanded
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Percy Webber McCulloch WW1

Post by Penny Tray »

sweet caroline wrote:Watching Antiques Roadshow special on the Somme earlier tonight ,brought this man back into my thoughts. Wondering if I was right the first time .Something to do with planes?
Died c1954 New Zealand
Sweet Caroline,

Sometimes I'm not sure how your 'thoughts' are triggered :lol:

However, PERCY is not an everyday Threetowns name but since you introduce it and mention New Zealand in the same breath, the following intimations in the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald may be of interest to someone now or whilst word searching in the future -

28.021919 - the birth of a daughter intimated by Percy McCulloch, 18 Roberston Crescent, Saltcoats.
27.04.1945 - the marriage of PERCY HAROLD McCULLOCH to ELIZABETH JOHNSTONE MUIR at Christchurch, New Zealand.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Hi PT,yes I jump about at times :lol: when I first came across this man,i googled Tavernham camp,and there is a web site with photos of the WWW 2 airbase .So that made me wonder.He enlisted 19 -10 -16 and discharged 6 - 7- 17 with a pension. The daughter being born at 18 Robertson Crescent was Edna Agnes Evans McCulloch, and her brother Percy Harold McCulloch mentioned was born in New Zealand. Percy Webber McCulloch was married to Jeannie McLauchlan Scott (my interest ).There is also I believe a Jack Webber McCulloch .Believe they settled in Bay of Plenty.Just wonder what happened to him during the war.

SC

Edit- So they moved to Tavernham in the April, and he was discharged in 6th. July as Sick (unfit)
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
geomacintyre
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by geomacintyre »

As he did not serve overseas there is no record of campaign medals but Percy Webber McCulloch was awarded the Silver Badge for services rendedered by soldiers of the British Empire to King and Empire 1914-1918 and honourably discharged owing to wounds or sickness. His badge (Number: 201600) was issued on July 9, 1917.
What we do for ourselves alone dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. - Albert Pine
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Thanks for that George.

SC
Jack W
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Jack W »

My goodness, it took my granddaughter (Karen McCulloch) to ring me up last night with the above information about Percy Webber McCulloch and my mother Jeannie Lauchlan McCulloch, along with my sister Edna. However I have no knowledge of Harold - when he was born or when he died. I have never heard his name mentioned in any family discussion.
I am the son - Jack - brought up in Tauranga in the Bay of Plenty New Zealand. I was fostered by Mum & Dad and then legally adopted when 13 years of age. I did not find out about my birth details until I was married and aged 34, while teaching at a country school near Whangarei.
Karen [mentioned above] is the second daughter of our son Perry, whom Lois and I adoprted.
It is really a mystery to hear about Harold. I wonder if there was another McCulloch somewhere along the way?
.Dad's brother Bill came out to New Zealand after his wife died. I visited Ardrossan And Saltcoats when I came over to the UK in 1960. I'm now 80 and living in a retirement village north of Auckland.
Any further information about my family would be appreciated
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Jeanie Lauchlan Scott was the daughter of William Scott and Agnes McFarlane Evans. My Grandfather's brother.

SC
Jack W
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Jack W »

Hi Ellen. Yes indeed there is a connecton. On my Mum & Dad's marriage certificate dated 20th September 1917, mum's dad was David Scott -grocer. Her address was 16 Robertson Crescent Saltcoats.
My address if you wish to follow up is probably able to be obtained from this web site. I give my permission for you to obtain it from threetowns.

All the best
Jack
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Jack, if you log into the board with the username you joined with and password, you will be able to post without having to wait to have it approved. In the meantime I'll credit your two posts to your username. Any problems you can contact me at hugh.mccallum@gmail.com

Nice to see you've made a connection there. :)
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Hi Jack,wondering if you received my email, as it appears you were not registered at the time. William Scott was Jeanies father, as per marriage details.

Details from my tree--
Burial1945 Hawkhead ,StevenstonLMO Mary Fulton d. 8.9.1949 aged 72 beloved wife of Matthew Scott. Also his mother Jeanie Scott d. 12.4.1932 aged 89 and his brother William Scott d. 20.2.1945 aged 70. The above Matthew Scott d. 22.3.1957 aged 80 and his brother John Scott d. 6.6.1958 age.

William Scott died 21 Feb.1945 ,23 Vicar's Walk, Cambuslang.Widow of Agnes Evans, signed Matthew Scott ,brother ,23 Patrick Ave.,Stevenston.
Think the surprise is getting to us . :D

SC
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Percy Harold Mcculloch
Event Type: Immigration
Event Date: 04 Dec 1950
Event Place: Wellington, New Zealand
Marital Status: Married
Birth Year (Estimated): 1901
Ship Name: Rangitane
Departure Port: London
Departure Date: 1950
Arrival Port: Wellington
Arrival Place: Wellington
-------------------------------------
Has a Daughter Sarah with him and his wife
McCulloch Percy Harold 27/04/1945 Christchurch New Zealand M Elizabeth Johnstone Muir

Anyone know this family, must look up the Directories. :)

Father Alexander John McCulloch 1877 Clerkenwell.Wonder if they come from Percy Webbers McCulloch's English side.Why else would they be on the Ayrshire roots page. Edit- It is Elizabeth Johnstone Muir that is the local person.
SC
Fentiger
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Fentiger »

sweet caroline wrote: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:32 pm Watching Antiques Roadshow special on the Somme earlier tonight ,brought this man back into my thoughts. Wondering if I was right the first time .Something to do with planes?
Died c1954 New Zealand

SC

Edit-or perhaps not.
◾2/7th Battalion Princess Louise's (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders) T.F. - Norwich:
193rd Brigade, 64th Division
April moved to Taverham.
Autumn disbanded
Hello, I realise this post was from 2014, but stumbled across this forum only recently while searching for a WWI soldier Percy W McCulloch. Hopefully some of you are still active on here, and it will be of interest. I will explain....

I'm from Cambridgeshire, and my Great Aunt was a nurse at the local V.A.D. Hospital (36) in the village of Cottenham during WWI. My Father kept some of her belongings including photos and papers relating to her time as a nurse. Amongst these belongings is a letter sent to her from a Percy W McCulloch, who was in the 2/7th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders during WWI. He was obviously injured and invalided out of the war and had been sent to the Hospital in Cottenham. This is where he met my Great Aunt, Nurse Margery Parish. Percy's letter was sent to her from Norwich on 9th Feb 1917.

On searching for his name online lastnight this post and forum turned up in the results, and I believe he is the same Percy Webber McCulloch.

I've managed to transcribe the letter the best I can (quoted below) but I've also scanned it and happy to send to anyone interested. As I said, I hope it's of interest. I just want to make the link if there is one.

Many thanks, James (Fentiger)
9th Feb. 1917
C Company
2/7th A & S. H
Norwich

Dear Marjorie,

I received your delightful letter alright, & many many thanks for same(?), I hope you don't object to the Marjory, it seems so formal saying Miss Parish, if you don't like it you might tell me, as I don't want to offend you.

Yes, it must be jolly rotten for the hospital patients to be in by 4pm. I for myself think it very childish, but as for 'Babies' like me, they ought to be in early & put to bed (Perhaps). I had a letter from Wells not long ago & he is at Weymouth in a Convalescent Camp there, & he is coming on very well, but I think he has left his heart behind him at Cottenham (Poor Chap).

I suppose Langstead(?) will have gone now, I never cared much for the chap there seemed to be a sort of forbidding look about him, at 'least' in my eyes anyway, perhaps you were like the rest of the nurses (in his opinion anyway) falling in love with him.

I've been pretty bad this week again, the grub is awful, not what I used to get at Cottenham, but I can't expect the same attention here as I got there. Never mind I'll just have to put up with it for the present.

What sort of chaps have you got at present in the Hospital any more babies like me, you know you don't get many like me in half a dozen (swawk?)

I couldn't get any Heather when I was home, as it was out of season, but sending you this piece for the present, but I'll get the lot I promised you sent on later.

My brain box absolutely refuses to work, so I'll have to shut up.
You might give my Kindest Regards to Peggy & of course not forgetting yourself.

Yours Very Sincerely
"Baby"
Percy W. M Culloch
Last edited by Fentiger on Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.