Darts in the District

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Darts in the District

Post by Hughie »

Part of the story from: http://sport.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1282005

"Drink will certainly be flowing tomorrow evening at Charlie’s Bar in Ardrossan, where regulars will pack in to cheer on their local hero on television. Thornton’s town, Stevenston, has also warmed to the celebrity in their midst. "People have been stopping me all week in the street, but I keep telling them - it’s just a game of darts."

________

I seem to remember Davie (Davicky) McBlain from Ardrossan was the Scottish Darts Champion around 1962. Saved him from getting a kicking down the bottom end of Stevenston one night, I was walking up from my then girlfriend's house. Davicky, always a bit of a character convinced these would be hard men that I was the toughest bloke in Ardrossan - his bluff worked. :D If anyone sees Davicky around remind me to him. Like all good dart players he was great at counting in his heid.

Central Bar before the Castle Craigs is that no right Frank - many of us learned to count there - not at school :roll:

Hughie McCallum
Big T
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Darts

Post by Big T »

Hughie,
I am wondering if Robert Thornton is the same Bobby who worked along side me at Western SMT .

Tommy
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Darts in the District

Post by Catherine Belle »

Hughie McCallum[/quote]

I seem to remember Davie (Davicky) McBlain from Ardrossan was the Scottish Darts Champion around 1962. Saved him from getting a kicking down the bottom end of Stevenston one night, I was walking up from my then girlfriend's house. Davicky, always a bit of a character convinced these would be hard men that I was the toughest bloke in Ardrossan - his bluff worked. :D
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hughie,

Now I understand the boxing kanga..You've an image to maintain! :lol:
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Darts

Post by Hughie »

Big T wrote:Hughie,
I am wondering if Robert Thornton is the same Bobby who worked along side me at Western SMT .

Tommy
Hi Tommy,

The Bobby Thornton I knew lived in Busby Drive Ardrossan. Haven't seen him since school days at Eglinton. So he'd be about the same age us us.
Big T
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Darts

Post by Big T »

Hughie,
I have a feeling that it is the same Bobby. Thanks anyway. This new system is taking a bit of getting used too.
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Darts

Hi guys,
looks like Robert Thornton made it to the quarter finals. (sporting life.com UK)
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Darts

Post by gnyaff »

Does anyone know how thornton went in the tournament? Maybe if he became Scottish Darts Champion, Bruiser McCallum could be his minder as well.

Wee Boney
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Darts

Hi wee Boney

Here's all I know;

However, Robert Thornton’s exploits are worth highlighting, given that he was practically unheard of before the BDO event. The baffling thing about 37-year-old Thornton is that he has been playing the game seriously for just over two years, but still managed to reach the quarter-final stage before losing heavily to his English opponent on Thursday night.

gb
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
elvis1913
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

darts

Post by elvis1913 »

Yo Wee Boney, how about the ''Golden Girl'' Trina Gulliver never lost a match at Lakeside. No bad fur a wee wummin. cheers Josephine,ps...Purridge in a barra? only if it's a pink wan. 8) :wink:
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Trina Gulliver.

Post by gnyaff »

Hi Josephine,

Don't know much aboot this Trina Gulliver, does she travel a lot? You'll have to enlighten me, we don't get too much informstion on some sports down here in the Antipodes.

The porridge will definately be in the pink barra. Why don't ye get yersel doon here, we are up to 8 so far.

Wee Boney jist oot o' bed at hauf past eight.
elvis1913
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

darts

Post by elvis1913 »

Yo wee Boney,Trina's no exactly local, she's English lol. But I was just saying how good she is,just as good as them fellas. Trina is a multiple world champion she lives for darts.She has played at Lakeside and never lost yet.Just a wee bit of Trivia for the sport.I might surprise you and take a run doon, doon under.I'll bring you and Hughie some pure Maple Syrup,a few beaver tails and some moose meat ah! great stuff. ta the noo.Josephine. 8) PS hope a huvney wandered intae anither dept.cheers :lol:
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Josephine at the reunion

Post by gnyaff »

Hi Josephine,
dae ye want me tae book ye in fur the reunion, so far we've goat 11 and a hauf. That Maple syrup wid go weel oan ma black puddin. Efter breakfast we kin get the big wummin tae wash the remains o' the porridge oot the barra and you kin sit in it and huv yer photae taken, she might even let ye haud the sledgehammer wi the the pink haunle.

Wee Boney