Family history

For those researching family in the three towns area.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Family history

Post by meekan »

I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction on the best way to research family history. What are the best sites to look at?
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Family history

Post by Jim McCreadie »

Scotland’s People (BDM official extracts, Census returns, etc), Talking Scot, Threetowners, Rootschat not necessarily in that order. Almost forgot, add Ayrshire Roots (A&S Herald BDMs) - excellent site.
Q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'30"E

"What language are you talking in now? It appears to be Bo**ocks."
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Thanks Jim
Doubt if A&S will help looking at Glasgow and North Uist areas. But certainly the other sites will be helpful thanks again.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

FIndMyPast, FamilySearch,ScotlandsPeople.
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I'm not up to date with the modern resources.

But basically follow the leads found on your own birth certificate - your parent's details with place and date of marriage will be on it. Gaining that marriage certificate will suck you right in with more questions needing answered. :wink:

If you can get to a stage where you can obtain a certificate from 1855, which was the first year of civil registration in Scotland, there will be so much more details on it - doesn't need to be on your direct ancestor's birth certificate. I got more details about my family from the birth certificate of my ancestor's sister born in 1855.

Official Scottish censuses began in 1841 then 1851, 1861 etc.
Prior to 1841 locally there is the Rev Landsborough's List which covers the Parish of Stevenston (Stevenston and part of Saltcoats) for the period 1819, 1822 and 1836. Just put a name in - even put a street in and see who all lived there then. See: Pre 1841 censuses