Coronavirus pandemic

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Coronavirus pandemic

Post by glenshena »

Our two elderly neighbours, he's 90 she's 86, are terrified of going out, so when they hear the voices of our grandchildren playing in the garden it makes their day.
This morning another 5 doctors and two nurses have passed away. making a total of 105 doctors. Some of them family doctors, who visited the elderly in the care homes before the severity of the disease was discovered. Now medical staff are being fully protected, but all too late. The deaths reported every day do not include the elderly in care homes as they have not been tampon tested for the virus, but there is an horrific average of 14 deaths a day in each care home not accounted for.
God help us all.
Happy Easter!
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

We live in a holiday resort coastal area miles from Melbourne - though we can see Melbourne across the bay. We have three caravan/holiday parks which have all been closed and many holiday homes too. The town is usually jumping at Easter. Last week there were a lot of strangers in the town from the city occupying their holiday homes. But today I can say it's good to relate the message seems to have got through.
Stay Home.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

To all supermarket bosses. Your staff has stayed loyal to you through this nightmare. Please can you return the favour to your customers who wait in the queue for hours at times in all sorts of weather. Tea, Coffee and water please would be appreciated.

Rant over ...
MANBEAR
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by MANBEAR »

Meg just been informed that Milda has passed away tried to send you a message but not to good
Ian
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

As of today we have 120 doctors died and 8 pharmacists. I recieved this video today.
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox ... qsqQkgXhXs
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

So for us in the UK -It's another 3 weeks of lockdown. Listening to all the evidence i think its the correct decision. Hopefully, we can all ride through this and the Deaths of many loved ones will begin to recede.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I remember getting the Vaccine for smallpox at school when I was about eight it leaves a mark on the upper near the shoulder. I remember everyone was really concerned about the outbreak depicted in this film. Let's hope a vaccine comes along soon for this current virus.

Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

It might be useful and interesting to know how we are doing around the world. I know we’ve got members here in the UK, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the US so maybe a wee update on how life is for you would be great.

Here in Scotland we get daily updates from the First Minister, and the Minister for Health at 1230pm. We are told how many confirmed cases, hospital cases, ICU and deaths from the previous day. We are allowed out for up to an hour for exercise (not recreation) and you must exercise starting from your home, ie not drive somewhere and then exercise, go to work if you are in the essential group - and go to food shops for essentials. We are not being policed in the main, as yet - but the police helicopter patrols Ayr and Prestwick beaches and probably up to the 3ts. Our food shops now have a database of people who are being “shielded” and they have priority for food deliveries. Chemists are also making home deliveries - as are small local businesses - who will certainly be supported if/when we ever reach a new normal. Local restaurants are closed for sit in but are starting to do some business with phone and card payment, then pickup. Amazon is doing more business than everyone else put together - thank goodness for Prime //funny .

We are about to go into week 5 of lockdown - and I must admit, it’s starting to feel normal...
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

This young chinese lady Lena Yokoyama, went up on the hospital roof at Cremona and played four tunes to raise money for the medical staff in Lombardy. This is my favourite by Italian Composer Ennio Morricone.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Meg,
The Robert Koch Institute (RKI), the public health institute in Germany, has a lot of information on their website and this is updated daily or as necessary. The same for their dashboard for the whole of Germany. Each federal state and each district or district-free city is shown.

Germany (Robert Koch Institute dashboard):
https://experience.arcgis.com/experienc ... ge/page_0/

The CSSE at Johns Hopkins University has a Dashboard for all countries affected:
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboar ... 7b48e9ecf6

Other rules like keeping your distance etc. are similar to the ones you mentioned. They should have ended today but have been extended till 05th May.

The shops have issued their own, sometimes more restrictive, ones in their newsletters.
The shop I mainly use, for instance, has restricted the number of trolleys and taken away the baskets. There is now only one line of trollies instead of three. You are allowed one trolley per person or family. There is a sign on the outside of the entrance to the shop which says “One person/trolley out – one person/trolley in”. All over the aisles are signs reminding you to keep your distance of 1.5m and restrictions on the amount of certain foods you may buy. For instance you are allowed a maximum of 4 tins or glass jars of identical foodstuffs per trolley. Milk is restricted to 2 litres of each kind.
Customers are requested to cover their mouth and nose. As masks are not available for the general public, you can wear a homemade one (the shop offers a pdf with a pattern for this) or a scarf or bandana tied around the nose and mouth.
They have also extended their opening hours from 0730-2030 to 0630-2130 to avoid long waits at the entrance at lunch time and in the evening.
The cashiers are behind sheets of plexiglass with only some space at the bottom, and are wearing gloves. Customers are requested to pay with Girocard or credit card if possible.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Sent this to my friend in Inverness - still can hear him laughing

Thanks Jean