Stevenston Higher Grade 1960-1970

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Stevenston Higher Grade 1960-1970

Post by ardrossanrentboy »

I recall he was very popular with the girls and known as Sexy Lexy. Can't say I was belted more by him than any of the others. I find it easier to recall the teachers who didn't belt me, they were so few.
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

Never had him as a teacher but by reputation I heard he was a belter.
len
Settling In
Settling In

Post by len »

Hi Marie, Just came across your post on Higher Grade teachers. I left the school in 1966. I well remember Mr Proctor. When he got really transported about a piece of music he was playing, on occasion his false teeth slipped out. He drove an exotic car, a Wartburg I think. He took the school football teams for many years. I remember my mother asking if Mr Proctor came into the showers while the boys were undressed!
He was originally from Fraserbugh I believe and could demonstrate the Doric dialect.We sometimes felt Miss Donaldson had a futile crush on him.

len
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

Len, I believe Miss Donaldson lives in Largs . She and Mr Procter shared a flat at one time. In second year we were taught science in the music room and the teacher was trying to make a simple barometer and accidently poured mercury over Procter's piano. He happened to come in when he was trying to clean it up and was not very happy. If you remember he organised trips to Scottish Opera in Glasgow where Sir Alexander Gibson was the conductor who incidentally was Anne William's cousin. I remember he entered our class into a singing contest in Ayr town hall and the conductor was Sir Alexander Gibson When it was announced that we were Stevenston High school Sir Alex said in front of everyone "ah yes your the school that goes." Mr Procter was dead chuffed and so were we as we came third. Coming back in the bus Anne entertained us by singing ye banks and braes of bonnie Doon and I remember she was a bit hoarse the next day. Happy days.
thehood1947
New Poster
New Poster

Post by thehood1947 »

Does anybody remember Hughie Bradford he was a great teacher his class was called Bradford collage lol
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Moving on a bit to auchenharvie does anybody mind Mr Procter in the tug o war? Heave boys heave, hahaha
Those wimin were in the nip.
Vinegarjoe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Vinegarjoe »

len wrote: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:41 pm Hi Marie, Just came across your post on Higher Grade teachers. I left the school in 1966. I well remember Mr Proctor. When he got really transported about a piece of music he was playing, on occasion his false teeth slipped out. He drove an exotic car, a Wartburg I think. He took the school football teams for many years. I remember my mother asking if Mr Proctor came into the showers while the boys were undressed!
He was originally from Fraserbugh I believe and could demonstrate the Doric dialect.We sometimes felt Miss Donaldson had a futile crush on him.

len
Remember Ian Proctor having a blue Triumph TR4A, then the killer, a Mk2 Lotus Cortina. Managed to get a run in it one time when going to play Cumnock Academy at footie. 100mph along Ayr bypass.....fantastic at the time!!!
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

He had one of these(far more interesting imo)
a Borgward Isabella TS
Attachments
Borgward_Isabella_TS_1961.jpg
Vinegarjoe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Vinegarjoe »

Yes my mate's old man had one as well in the late '60s. Very rare....
Vinegarjoe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Vinegarjoe »

5eulbdog7 wrote: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:36 pm Len, I believe Miss Donaldson lives in Largs . She and Mr Procter shared a flat at one time. In second year we were taught science in the music room and the teacher was trying to make a simple barometer and accidently poured mercury over Procter's piano. He happened to come in when he was trying to clean it up and was not very happy. If you remember he organised trips to Scottish Opera in Glasgow where Sir Alexander Gibson was the conductor who incidentally was Anne William's cousin. I remember he entered our class into a singing contest in Ayr town hall and the conductor was Sir Alexander Gibson When it was announced that we were Stevenston High school Sir Alex said in front of everyone "ah yes your the school that goes." Mr Procter was dead chuffed and so were we as we came third. Coming back in the bus Anne entertained us by singing ye banks and braes of bonnie Doon and I remember she was a bit hoarse the next day. Happy days.
I remember going to see Iolanthe and Orpheus in the Underworld courtesy of Mr Proctor/ Miss Donaldson.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

He was kind of like a missionary bringing a great love of opera to a bunch of Philistines. Not that I was one of those.
Vinegarjoe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Vinegarjoe »

I was at both, but unfortunately none of it remotely rubbed off. So I suppose I must got down as a Philistine. We used to have two periods of music a week. Tues. and Fri. He did deal with us that he had "his" day on a Tuesday and we had "our" day on the Fri. So, Tuesday was classical day on either the piano or the stereo. And Friday we could bring in all our Heavy, Prog Rock albums to play on the stereo. BTW this was the FIRST ever stereo system I had seen or heard. It was a turntable through a valve chassis amp to two big speakers. Now that had a profound effect on me, and as soon as I was able I had bought myself a decent stereo system (from COMET, when the only COMET in Scotland was in Hillington!!, and it was simply a warehouse, not a showroom), and have never been without a good system since. So Mr Proctor you may have failed in your attempt to convert me to classical music, but you certainly converted me to the SOUND of good music.