Arran ferry

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Arran ferry

Post by morag »

michaelm wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:30 pm I well remember the Glen Sannox arriving and departing from Brodick during the summer months in the mid to late 70's.
The main Ardrossan to Brodick ferry at that time was the 'Caledonia'
A visit to here - https://www.revolvy.com/topic/MV%20Glen ... type=topic - jogged my memory as to why I often seen Glen Sannox down at Brodick pier back in those days ... she had by then become one of CalMac's Cruise vessels and paid a weekly visit to Arran every Wednesday.

Quite fitting that the new ferry will be named after the old Lady - and here's a short nostalgic video of her past glory days.

Edit: I've updated the link above to provide more direct access to the main story.
Nostalgic indeed, thanks for posting that, could almost feel the salt air and anticipation to getting there. Love Arran, gave it my daughter's middle name.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Morag, I PM'd you. Did you miss it? JD.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

John Donnelly wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:46 am Morag, I PM'd you. Did you miss it? JD.
No PM's showing, JD
C.S.Lewis
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

On a wee bit nostalgic note..whenever I managed to get home a visit to Arran was a must. One visit when I told of my intentions my mum said, don't even bother your dad (he was unwell) but he'd heard and jumped at the chance. Mum almost fell over!
He'd been a seaman all his grown life, trawlers, RN, merchant navy (ICI) he loved it! Mum and dad didn't clamber around like us yins but enjoyed the wee saunter up to the Ormidale later ;) Have treasured photos somewhere.
C.S.Lewis
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

morag wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:38 pm
John Donnelly wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:46 am Morag, I PM'd you. Did you miss it? JD.
No PM's showing, JD
Resent. JD
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

morag wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:59 pm On a wee bit nostalgic note..whenever I managed to get home a visit to Arran was a must. One visit when I told of my intentions my mum said, don't even bother your dad (he was unwell) but he'd heard and jumped at the chance. Mum almost fell over!
He'd been a seaman all his grown life, trawlers, RN, merchant navy (ICI) he loved it! Mum and dad didn't clamber around like us yins but enjoyed the wee saunter up to the Ormidale later ;) Have treasured photos somewhere.

To this day I still love a pint in the ormidale especially on a cold day with the fire blazing.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

Went twice on the Glenn Sannox in the early 50's when we holidayed in Corrie.
does anyone know which one that would have been. (probably 1950 and 1954)
mcgrattan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by mcgrattan »

Glen Sannox II was withdrawn in the Summer of 1953 and Glen Sannox III commenced service on 5 July 1957.
She was sold to an Arab company in July 1989.

Tom McGrattan
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

bonzo wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:49 pm
morag wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:59 pm On a wee bit nostalgic note..whenever I managed to get home a visit to Arran was a must. One visit when I told of my intentions my mum said, don't even bother your dad (he was unwell) but he'd heard and jumped at the chance. Mum almost fell over!

To this day I still love a pint in the ormidale especially on a cold day with the fire blazing.
It was gey rough place at one time with some scary guys from Glasgow. They did cheap lunches and there best was roast pork,great tatties and veg. Don't remember a coal fire in my time. Preferred the Brodick bar and the Douglas which was very civilised. The Gen Sannox in the sixties looked as though it had at list. Wee England is still a great place and thank goodness the ferry will still go from Ardrossan
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Think the Douglas was owned by a couple from Saltcoats, she was Joyce Reid married to Alistair Buchanan. Don't know who's got it now.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

O/T the new Glen Sannox, to be launched today

https://archive.is/St58B
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Great news that new modern green ferries are on the way.
Also great news that reduced fares have increased the tourist trade to the more outlying areas.
Less good is that the ferries will be delayed.
Also less good is that the native population is feeling the pinch on overcrowded ferries.
What worries me is that the road infrastructure is not keeping pace with the rest of the innovations.
When will they ever get their act all together at the one time?
A dubious JD.