What are you reading now?

Discuss the books you've read, the movies and TV shows you've seen
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by bobnetau »

bobnetau wrote:Been reading "Gone Girl" for two weeks. Daughter tells me to keep going I will get to the part where it grabs me. Not sure I can do that.Have read another book as well, finding this one a struggle.
Eventually finished this book. Got to page 234 before it grabbed me.
Starting another by same author " Dark Places"
Daughter has warned me it will be trying.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

It's nice that the proceeds from the sales of all Molly Weirs Books go to charity, mainly to the poor and elderly of Glasgow.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

glenshena wrote:It's nice that the proceeds from the sales of all Molly Weirs Books go to charity, mainly to the poor and elderly of Glasgow.
Always enjoyed Molly, and Weir's way.
We have a shop 'the book rack', where people turn in read books, mostly paperbacks, for either small change or store credit. I should NOT go in there but I always do. If I turned in all the books I have it'd be a small fortune :lol: My daughter's the same. :roll:
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Lucky you Morag. I get my books at Glasgow Airport under the section "Scottish Authors"
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Enjoying the third book in Ken McCoy's, Sam Carew series - Hammerhead.

Kevin Kilpatrick has served nine years of a life sentence for two vicious murders he pleaded guilty to but didn't commit fearful of the threat to his family posed by the real killers. Excop turned builder Sam Carew helped to put him away, so when Kevin's daughter appeals for his help in proving his innocence he can t really say no. He doesn t bargain on getting mixed up with one of the most ruthless and sadistic crime families in the country, however, nor with the spate of brutal killings in which the weapon of choice is a ball-peen hammer. Although Sam might be on the trail of the killer, his relationship with the superiors at Unsworth nick means that Sam will have to do some investigating of his own.
MANBEAR
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by MANBEAR »

Just reading a wee book called Old Saltcoats by R&M Mcsherry really enjoying the old photos and information in it
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Been reading a couple of Ken McCoy's books. McCoy mentioned here by a member some time ago, writes page turning fictional stuff that grabbed my interest, perhaps in part because it's about that period in Britain after the second world war.

Ken McCoy's books: https://www.goodreads.com/author/list/76169.Ken_McCoy
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

In light of what soon may be the third world War, I started reading the prophesies of Nostrodamus. According to him If there is a nuclear War, which I hope will never happen, there will be no-one or nothing left alive on the Planet. If you don't die immediately you will die of starvation or radioactivity poison. It's too awful to think about. Pray to God that this will never happen., but unfortunately many of his prophesies have come true. Perhaps a good start would be to get some provisions in in case we are underground for a good few years! :amen:
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

The Long Drop - by Denise Mina. She won the McIlvanney Prize at Bloody Scotland book fair in Stirling this year. Blurb from book explains better than I can...

The Long Drop

The Long Drop is Denise Mina's first foray into true crime. It is the story of Peter Manuel, a serial killer operating in the 1950s in Glasgow.

True crime stories always have two versions: the official verdict and the story people tell each other. Sometimes the difference is staggering.

On the 19th of September 1956 Peter Manuel broke into a suburban villa in Glasgow and shot three women in their beds. Then he made himself a ham sandwich.

The father of the house, William Watt, was five hours drive away, on a fly fishing holiday but police still suspect him. Watt was odd. He had taken the guard dog with him, which he never did. He established his alibi like a man trying to establish an alibi. William Watt was accused of the murders and sent to prison for three months.

Released, Watt decided to investigate the murders himself and put out the word that he would pay for information. Peter Manuel came forward and the two men met for a drink in Glasgow. They spent eleven hours together, drinking, driving, talking. The next time they met was in the High Court in Glasgow, where Manuel was accused of those murders and many others.

The Long Drop is a reimagining of the trial and of the drunken night the two men spent carousing in Glasgow.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Interesting stuff Meg, I take it Watt was remanded in custody and then released when the charges against him were dropped. Manual was a complex character described as a psychopath and some said not too bright. However did he not sack his lawyers and carried out his own defence in an astute way. I read that when he went to the gallows he was given a very large whisky and drank it down and didn't say a word. He was described by some the people who witnessed his hanging as a very brave man. Glad we abolished capital punishment.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

5siamese7 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:37 pm Interesting stuff Meg, I take it Watt was remanded in custody and then released when the charges against him were dropped. Manual was a complex character described as a psychopath and some said not too bright. However did he not sack his lawyers and carried out his own defence in an astute way. I read that when he went to the gallows he was given a very large whisky and drank it down and didn't say a word. He was described by some the people who witnessed his hanging as a very brave man. Glad we abolished capital punishment.
Yes on all counts Bill - not too sure about him being not too bright but he does have all the hallmarks of a sociopath. I'm half way through and enjoying ...
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Hi Meg , yes he could function as a supposed "normal" person but showed no remorse for what he had done. At that time little was said about what he did to his victims but I remember that their knickers were beside their bodies not as a trophy but I think to do with degradation. Anyway I'm old enough to remember his pictures in the Daily Record and they gave me the creeps. There was also a sense of fear among women at that time.