What are you reading now?

Discuss the books you've read, the movies and TV shows you've seen
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by glenshena »

Today I handed in to Saltcoats library Janice Galloways book CLARA should anyone like to read it.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Been reading "Gone Girl" for two weeks. Daughter tells me to keep going I will get to the part where it grabs me. Not sure I can do that.Have read another book as well, finding this one a struggle.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

It's probably easier to watch the film (and it's hard work as well)
Those wimin were in the nip.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Re-reading RL Stevenson's Kidnapped on my new Kindle. Read it so many years ago but after visiting his house in Samoa last year while on a cruise to Hawaii I got interested. After leaving Samoa I got a bug and was locked in my cabin for two days where I re-read Treasure island - had great room service :) Kidnapped explains a lot of what went before in Scotland at that time.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Just started East West Street by Phillips Sands. Saw him interviewed at the Bothwell book festival at Dumfries House last weekend. Non fiction isn't usually my cup of tea, I prefer page turning crime novels, but this tells the story of Sands' grandfather and an amazing series of coincidences that link two Nuremberg prosecutors who invented the crimes of genocide and crimes against humanity and the nazi governor responsible for the deaths of thousands of people. So far so good.....
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

The Last Kingdom, by Bernard Cornwell.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Catherine Belle »

Old School by Bill O'Reilly and Bruce Feirstein.
Haven't finished it yet but interesting so far. Bill Talks about the values my generation grew up with versus the values of the Now Generation...AKA "Snowflakes". So far I agree with a lot of what he has written but I find it ironic that he was fired from his TV show for alleged sexual harassment charges...it would appear he doesn't practice what he preaches. :oops: Never the less I plan to finish the book... he does have some good points that I can relate to.
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

What a delightful book. Based on life in Glasgow tenements 100 years ago. How different were the lives of children then, doing the shopping before going to school, and doing the messages for the neighbours after school just to get a few pence extra pocket money. Clothes knitted by grannies and even school uniforms made by mothers. No television, all games were invented and played in the close or on the Street. Christmas was a stocking on the mantelpiece. No tree, no turkey. Thanks to her granny, Molly Weir learned to cook, and well, before she was 10. No-one used the trams, everyone walked to their destinations. Really enjoyable, brought back so many memories, and similarities with my own upbringing.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Sorry the book was called SHOES WERE FOR SUNDAY by Molly Weir.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

glenshena wrote:Sorry the book was called SHOES WERE FOR SUNDAY by Molly Weir.
Glenshena, my mum and I read Molly's books back in the 1970's. The good news for you is that there's another 3 - A Toe on the Ladder, Stepping into the Spotlight and One Small Footprint. You've made me want to go back and reread them. Her brother, Tom Weir, used to have a TV program called Weir's Way. He also wrote quite a few books on Scotland and his travels.

Meg
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I remember molly weir telling wee stories on the TV, she was also the witch in rent a ghost (off topic but that just came to mind).
Those wimin were in the nip.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

This is a family that has to be admired. Living in such poverty and yet being so successful in life mainly thanks to the granny who instructed them when mother was out at work. Grannies are priceless in family homes, even today. Children nowadays are brought up so differently, get things too easy.