The metallic manufacturing co limited Family name

For those researching family in the three towns area.
Danny Lee

The metallic manufacturing co limited Family name

Post by Danny Lee »

I'm in need of some help please....let me explain.

I am currently restoring a e type Jaguar here in Australia that was originally delivered to the Metallic manufacturing company, unfortunately the name of the company and not individual is all I have.

I have made an assumption thet it would have been a director's vehicle, but I can find no records of the directors of the company in 1964 when this vehicle was delivered to the company.

I am hoping to find the family it belonged to.... So I can make contact and because it is only 52 years ago it's possible thet the first owner or descendants are still living in the area.

As a matter of interest the car arrived in Australia in 1974 and has been off the road since about 1992..... Sadly neglected.... But it is coming back to life now!

Any help would be appreciated

Many thanks

Danny Lee
Dannyleepersonal@gmail.com
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The metallic manufacturing co limited Family name

Post by Hughie »

I've advised Danny as a guest to post here. Hope our members can advise. I know we have members who love a challenge. :wink:
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I have the name "McKillop" in my mind from the 60s for some reason but hopefully Retsum will be able to add more when he sees this item. His grandfather, who lived adjacent to the factory, was, I think, caretaker.

In the meantime, I see the Company was established in 1901 and incorporated in 1909, at which time the directors were John S. Moir and Robert Fleming.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

Source: gracesguide.co.uk
METALLIC MANUFACTURING Co, Ltd. Ardrossan, Scotland. 7-. A.:" Jointing, Ardrossan." T. N.: Ardrossan 91. Established 1901. Incorporated 1909. Directors: John S. Moir and Robert Fleming. Manufactures.—Metallic jointings of all descriptions, metallic valves for pumps, etc.

Closed 16 December 1986.
Q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'30"E

"What language are you talking in now? It appears to be Bo**ocks."
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

When Moir either retired or died, Shotbolt (his son-in-law) took over running the Metallic. I never heard of any other boss. In the 50's Shotbolt had a Riley coupe (I think it was two and a half litre) so following that line of thought he could well have graduated to an E-type but I don't recall ever seeing one (I was living in Glasgow in 1964).
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Danny,

And don't forget about the DVLA who may be able to provide information if you know the original registration number/number plate, call it what you will.

https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

G'day Danny
Here are a few suggestions/areas to assist further research the provenance of your vehicle, you lucky man.
I've always wanted to own a 63 XK-E Roadster Convertible. A famous man once said "Tell him he's dreaming!" //funny

http://www.carclubsworldwide.com/jaguar-car-clubs.php
Lists Jaguar car clubs for Australian States. May hold old membership lists, etc; & a wealth of knowledge for any restorer. During period 1974-1992, the vehicle was most likely serviced/repaired by a Jaguar dealership. If you can locate which one and they have retained their old records, you have struck gold. Hard yakka but it could pay dividends.

National Archive of Australia: Incoming Passenger Lists, search for any of the named gentlemen in 1974.

Australian Customs records: vehicle may/may not have accompanied them.
Danny lee

Post by Danny lee »

Wow, thanks guys a couple more clues there that I didn't have before. Have Australian history ....mostly and it's not pretty... Basically from 1984 onwards it was left outside and deteriated and was thrashed about resulting in a "new engine" being installed....... Then it needed a clutch in 92 and that was the beginning of the restoration by the owner prior to me.. Has been in panel shop since then the prior owner paying "as you go" until late last year.
Thanks for your help here...... Interestingly I have graduated from Riley Drophead to jags.... What a strange co incidence.
Keep digging guys...DVLA records show nothing....lost in fire
Danny
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Retsum wrote:When Moir either retired or died, Shotbolt (his son-in-law) took over running the Metallic. I never heard of any other boss.
George E. Shotbolt appears to have died long before 1964, as indicated by his daughter's wedding intimation in the Glasgow Herald on 4 November 1957, viz:-

PATERSON/SHOTBOLT - At St. Andrew's Scottish Episcopal Church, Ardrossan, on 2 November, 1957, by the Rev. Eric Newman-Walters, LL.D., STUART HODGSON PATERSON, D.A., A.R.I.B.A., younger son of the late John K. Paterson and of Mrs. Mabel Paterson, Hazel Bank, Airdrie, to MARGARET LILIAN, younger daughter of the late George E. Shotbolt, and of Mrs. Mary Shotbolt, Balmaha, Seafield Drive, Ardrossan.

The much earlier wedding of another daughter was intimated in the Glasgow Herald of 13 January, 1948, viz:-

THOMSON/SHOTBOLT - At St. Andrew's Church, Ardrossan, on 10th January, 1948, by the Rev. John Symon, M.A., THOMAS JAMES THOMSON, M.B., Ch.B., son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Thomson, Stoer Park, Airdrie, to JESSIE SMITH, elder daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. Shotbolt, Balmaha, Seafield Drive, Ardrossan.

It must be doubtful that either of these sons-in-law would become part of the Metallic business since they both had very definite professions of their own - Architect and Doctor - but if the daughters involved themselves you at least now know their married names. I haven't come across any mention of a son or other siblings.

As a matter of passing interest Jessie Shotbolt's husband, Thomas James Thomson, for his services to the medical profession, was awarded an OBE in 1978, a CBE in 1983, and a Knighthood in 1991. He died in 2013.
danny lee

Post by danny lee »

It looks like i need to try the Moir side of the puzzel.... I already had found Jessie ( she was a nurse.... iguess she married the Doctor)

is there some directory of directors?
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

There were three business premises on the Dalry Road brae in the mid-60s - Munro's Laundry; Lee's Lemonade Factory; and the Metallic Manufacturing Company Limited.

Over the week-end, I spoke to someone who has an excellent knowledge of Ardrossan, and, without providing him with any background information whatsoever, asked if he could recall anyone living locally at the material time having an E-type Jaguar. To my surprise he suggested the Lee family, from the Lemonade Factory, might have had one.

If this is correct, I wonder if, for some reason of convenience, the Lee family, the Metallic's nearest business neighbour, arranged for their vehicle to be delivered there!

Maybe you'll need to include the name Lee in your deliberations.
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

I can confirm that Victor Lee had an E-type and the date would have been around 1964.

Edit: correction, Victor bought the E-type after his father died and I think that was in the 70s but I'm not certain.