Parkhouse Farm/High Tide Pub/Dairy Farm

For those researching family in the three towns area.
Thiste

Parkhouse Farm/High Tide Pub/Dairy Farm

Post by Thiste »

I was doing some research online trying to find more information about Parkhouse Farm in Ardrossan Ayrshire.
My ancestors lived back in the late 1700's and early 1800's. It was the Nicol Family. I have documention that proves this. I was trying to see if there were any pictures of the area from long ago. I have only seen the more recent pictures from when it was the pub and dairy. I jave seen that a football team in the early 1900's was called the Ayr Parkhouse team. If anyone knows where I can find more info about the Parkhouse Farm I would be very grateful.

ladykamami@yahoo.com
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Parkhouse Farm/High Tide Pub/Dairy Farm

Post by Vivc113 »

Sent you an e-mail.

The Heritage Museum can be v good for this kind of stuff. They have the Valuation rolls, which run from 1898 (I believe), which, as you go through them, you can find out which families went on to live there. It can be very interesting, and notes servants that worked there, etc.

Hazel, the main geneology lady, is on holiday just now for at least another week, however MATT is there and is very good too. Be sure to ask for rolls relating to FARMS if you do go in. :D

They may have other stuff too, as they do have many books from past times.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Thistle,

I trust you are aware of the Parkhouse connection with the murder of the 10th Earl of Eglinton in 1769.

The map from this period shows Parkhouse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of ... ontgomerie
Last edited by Penny Tray on Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

V interesting P.T.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

No I didnt know about that murder! Interesting. I live in USA. I am the third generation born in the USA. My great grandfather was born in Scotland and he is descended from the Nicol family that lived atvParkhouse Farm. He is also descended from the Daily family that lived at Tofts Mill in Dalry.

Thank you for the leads. :)

Heather
Thistle

Re: Parkhouse Farm/High 5Tide Pub/Dairy Farm

Post by Thistle »

I dont know to post pics here but I know for certain John Nicol was living at Parkhouse in 1841 according to the census.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Thistle,

I've attached a link to The Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald BDM Database which you may not already be aware of. You have to register to get access to it but it's free.

In the 30/11/1872 issue of the newspaper "Mrs Nicol" intimates the death at Parkhouse of ANDREW NICOL.

The 31/12/1881 issue then intimates the death of another ANDREW NICOL, also at Parkhouse.

http://www.ayrshire-roots.co.uk/ash.php
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

Thanks Penny! Mrs Andrew Nicol who died in 1872 is Andrew Nicol's first wife Janet Hunter. I have not been able to find when she died. Thank for sharing that website!

Heather
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Last edited by sweet caroline on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
harrysteell
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by harrysteell »

you could try the Hogarth family who owned Parkhouse Farm they are still farming in Ardrossan as far as I know they at bound to have old photos of their farms I remember it when it was a small part of the Hogarths land and cows in the field there and milking as also done there try one of William Hogarths sons Busby farm and Dykesmain farm Ardrossan .
Harry .
rhindjennifer

Post by rhindjennifer »

This is fascinating. My father's mother (Mary Nicol Peace later Mackie) was descended from the Nicols of Parkhouse Farm Ardrossan. Only today I was looking through very old photographs, as I have been clearing out my mother's home. Just family photographs, none of the farm. I was thinking that I might try to put together a family tree...
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

See also : Recollections ~ Parkhouse Farm Ardrossan at:

http://www.threetowners.com/recollectio ... beth-reid/